Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Fri May 26, 2017 3:07 pm

Holiday weekend goal: Complete 1st edit of this monster game. About 1/4 the way through the over 240 video clips. Most of the rest of the clips will only feature several seconds here and there, many will (and already have) faced deletion all together. Almost at an hour edited together at this point. I imagine it will grow to around an hour and 10 minutes before I finish. At that point I'll make it look pretty and start processing it. I'll take that and edit it down to under an hour (I hope) and add my post (but unscripted) commentary. At some point during all of this or after I will put together the pictures I wish to feature in the written review and start writing that. Sooo... Maybe this time next week it will all be done and up.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Fri May 26, 2017 4:27 pm

Maybe I'll catch up on some light reading as well...

Now available for your home computer!!! - Not sure about that Apple IIGS thing... I've never come across a single video or screenshot of that version. I can confirm it is available for your Amiga, though. :D

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri May 26, 2017 4:45 pm

Sweet - and don't forget the 98-paged D&D module, too! :)

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:05 pm

I had my feelers out on Ebay for AGES looking for a complete boxed version of the EA classic Starflight, which comes to us all the way back from 1986! Finally snagged one last month and took a dive into it yesterday. It was originally made on the PC and ported to the Amiga. It could have been light years ahead of its origins, but either way from what I've seen so far it's a really fun game.

Had they not been afraid of CBS coming down hard on them for copyright infringement, it's plainly obvious that this should have been named Starfleet. The entire game design is heavily inspired by Star Trek: even your mission declaration says you are to "boldly go where no man has gone before" and to explore new worlds, etc.

I'm into it, and it's pretty relaxing, interesting and fun so far. From what I can tell this game was the inspiration for a ton of games that followed in the years to come (e.g. Mass Effect). Pretty cool stuff.

Of course, I'm highly distracted by some hardware projects, but Starflight should get to at least share half of my attention of the next several days/weeks.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:09 pm

I've many stories of the great Star Flight. It's a must review at some point for me. I loved it so much I took the galaxy map to school for show and tell. It is one of the best ever RPGs in my opinion, and sadly overlooked.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:59 pm

I've got the original map - creased so hard I accidentally ripped it slightly trying to unfold it! :(

I'd read months ago when this game hit my radar that the map was "must-have" to truly play the game and (for some) beat it. That is part of the reason this game took me so long to find. That, and I wasn't going to pay a fortune for it. I finally got the whole she-bang for only $25. For months and months I was finding stupidly high prices.

Game works flawlessly. I immediately duplicated the original disk and I'll be adding the ADF to the site when I can play the game more deeply and review it. It's probably going to take a few weeks, to be honest. This game is very intuitive, but I'm totally "flying blind" a bit and just enjoying what my little discoveries thus far. I haven't had this much fun finding minerals on a planet since M.U.L.E.! I can only imagine what it'll be like whenever I come across some alien lifeforms. <3

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:21 pm

Yes, it's utterly fun just exploring and ignoring the story... Which also sucks because the game is on a time limit. I had so much fun going to the furthest reaches of the galaxy... I found SOL... Landed on Earth... I was so happy I marked it on the map. But I'm not sure if you can go to those places and still win the game... There's just so much to explore, but the game wants you to do these certain things to win.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:30 am

I would also be working on one of the greatest games of all time :P

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:07 pm

I could look at those screenshots forever.

How to you manage those pics during the heat of a major battle? I'd be fumbling around, and ultimately (most likely) getting my ass kicked just to get a perfect snapshot. There's not a 'Pause' keystroke, is there?

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:51 pm

You can pause by pressing "p", but it would do screenshots no good, as a nice big grey bar appears and says "paused". I mean, for the most part, I have the camera setup on a tri-pod, my hands are on the joystick and when something looks good I take my right hand off the joystick and click the shutter. It's much easier with cutscenes... Plus the Amiga version on a standard 500 is a little slow... Playable enough that I've played it 4 times for these reviews... There is a winning and losing branching storyline, and I did them both twice... Once for the video, once for the pictures. So for anyone that says it's too slow on a 500, it must be playable if I can play it 4 times. haha...

Besides, I've already done Wing4 the same way, and the speed of that didn't hurt either. Just need the tripod, have it setup for the correct shot, hit the button. - Plus, there simply cannot be too many others who are as good at these games as I am. I seriously would not be surprised if I've played them all over 100 times each. There are two missions that are designed for you to fail, to kick you to the middle of the line path so you'll get more missions... I can win them both, and I won them both for this review. Then I reloaded and ejected just so I'd get kicked back to the middle path, otherwise it would have sent me straight up to the final missions. haha

Return to “Games”