Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Wed May 04, 2016 5:29 pm

I have a special chord for the Amiga's left/right RCA outputs where one end goes to my speakers and the other is an extra output. I hook those RCA's to a capture card and record it on a laptop. Then I just mixed them together. There's more music for The Fairy Tale Adventure, haven't gotten around to all of it yet. I was just enjoying the music so much I felt like making that mix for my friend who requested that I review the game. I need to redo Discovery because that chord was not of the highest quality and I can hear noise in it. But I used another one for The Fairy Tale Adventure and I think it sounds perfect.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Wed May 04, 2016 6:31 pm

I have the 1996 Computer Gaming World Hall of Fame taped to my wall. That issue was huge with lots and lots of pages, but they also had a special single page that was their "Hall of Fame" which I have on my wall. Sadly I didn't keep the entire magazine, wish I had. But I did download it. I still look at that as the real hall of fame list for computer games.

PhilsComputerLab

Posted Mon May 09, 2016 9:34 pm

Ok I'm now testing AGA games. Any thoughts on what is worth testing?

So far I tried Alien Breed 2, 3 and 3D. A pinball game (tilt something), Banshee, Chaos Engine 2. I'm also testing Classic workbench with WHDLoad (free now) and that works fine also. Played some Agony last night, cool looking game.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon May 09, 2016 11:12 pm

I'd take a look at Aladdin, The Chaos Engine, Colonization, Simon The Sorcerer & Star Trek 25th Anniversary in addition to your own list.

PhilsComputerLab

Posted Tue May 10, 2016 2:42 am

I'll check them out. Any Amiga exclusives? It always feels weird when I play games I know from the PC on the Amiga :)

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue May 10, 2016 9:20 am

AGA Amiga game exclusives - from big-house studios - are pretty rare, if they exist at all, as the platform was relatively small and shrinking by the time AGA was put upon the world. In some ways, it's a bit like the C128, except it was at least catered to somewhat especially in Europe. The old 128 was essentially a lost cause from day one, too, except for programmers making software for themselves, to be honest. There was just never any software made for it worth remembering.

It's that whole chicken/egg thing. Don't invest in a platform until it gains more ground, so the platform never grows because no one invests in it. Plus by this time PCs has started to finally catch up with better video and sound cards.

You should probably check out Worms: The Director's Cut. I'm not a big CRT pinball guy, but some swear that Slam Tilt is worth a look (although it was released on Windows in 1997, so it was only an exclusive for a year as it came out in 1996). Another was Fightin' Spirit in '96, which was made by NEO. Again - these were European releases as many US publishers had left the Amiga by then.

Most big-name AGA releases were ports or clones. The ones I mentioned earlier were ports that, frankly, smoke the PC counterpart you've probably seen before. I was thinking you could compare and judge.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Tue May 10, 2016 2:13 pm

Pinball Fantasies had an AGA version and Pinball Illusions was only on AGA. The AGA CD-32 version of Wing Commander can be hacked to work on the 1200... There's Star Trek as Eric said. If anything really utilized AGA it was software and not games. Lots of paint programs and such were quick to put out versions for AGA. Meh, I could get in a long rant about AGA but I'll just say from your DOS background I don't think you'll find anything worth noting. It was too little, too late, and although technically more impressive than VGA there simply were almost no games that took advantage of it. It was just a way to give Amiga users exactly what DOS users had, and if you ask me, that gives most people today almost zero reason to look into those games. There's an AGA Civilization...okay... But it looks just like DOS... That's a lot of fun... OR, if you are going to play the Amiga version, why not just play the OCS version which is actually impressive because of the hardware? Me... I don't care for AGA. Any AGA games I might like are available for DOS and that's where I'll go for those.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Tue May 10, 2016 2:45 pm

Super Stardust? I mean I'm perfectly happy with Stardust on the regular Amiga's but I'm pretty sure a lot of people like Super Stardust which was the AGA version.

Return to “Games”