BloodyCactus
Lexington VA

Posted Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:21 am

So, I finally got a really nice pristine but opened big box copy of DPV for my collection. No rough corners, very nice!

Inside was a letter...

From Lee Ozer To Phil Nibbelink..

waaaaiiit. Lee Ozer was programmer on Deluxe Paint III, IV and V...

and Phil Nibbelink worked at Industrial Light and Magic... is an animator and well you can check his wikipedia page if you want to see more on the man who worked on Who Framed Roger Rabbit!

here is a cool interview with him in April this year on amblinroad.com..

there is even a letter still in it detailing a custom DPV made just for Phil! how crazy and cool is that!

And another letter about different changes;

a hand written arrexx script

and a strange looking disk (amongst a bunch without labels), could just be a label for a beta of DP IV.

I know there is a Deluxe Paint V version 5.0 and 5.2, but in the bundle of disks it has 5.04, 5.05, 5.06. I dont know what the last pre 5.2 was.

What a nice way to bookend my deluxe paint collection!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:38 pm

Wow you might have some really unique (one of a kind?) disks there!

McTrinsic

Posted Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:16 pm

Make an image of the disks prior to anything else. Conserve them!

Overmann

Posted Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:22 am

McTrinsic wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:16 pm
Make an image of the disks prior to anything else. Conserve them!
Hey now! Lee told Phil not to distribute these. I think we should respect Lee's wishes! :ugeek:
Did they really make custom versions of software for people? I understand that Phil was a big deal, but still. I had no idea! Very cool! Please report back on these features. This deserves it's own YouTube video I feel. Very, very cool!

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:37 am

You can still make an image for archiving purposes. It would be a shame if this got lost due to hardware rot.
If you don’t want you don’t have to distribute anything.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:45 pm

Wow that is just incredible. Another wonderful example of the community that existed in the Amiga world back then. I just love the Arexx use, such a powerful system that has never been replicated since, I second a video on this subject. It would be awesome to get these two chaps together once more to talk about this and maybe even see some results of these custom features that were added in.

Wavemaker
Poland

Posted Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:37 am

I love that the guy was still using the Amiga in 97 when no big software company wanted anything to do with it anymore.

BloodyCactus
Lexington VA

Posted Wed May 05, 2021 6:35 pm

I want to thank Eric for imaging the disks, he said he was unable to image some of them :( aah time, a harsh mistress. So hopefully we can save some of them!

Nscali

Posted Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:46 pm

I just got my hands on an A2000 with a copy of Dpaint registered to Phil Nibbelink at Universal Studios. There also appear to be some character designs I don't recognize on this machine. It was definitely setup for live animation with Wacom accupoint tablet drivers and multiple video apps. Would be interested in getting in touch if anyone knows him!

Return to “Conquests”