intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:49 am

After creating what I consider the best GoTek build ever for an external drive option last year out of my CA-880, I was pleased to find a replacement drive this week still in the box. It didn't come with the paperwork, unfortunately, but the drive looks immaculate.
IMG_5127.jpg
Box isn't in the best of shape, but it's pretty good.

When I saw the end panel of the box and the large "CA-880" type on top of bright yellow, for the first time ever the name hit home. I thought to myself, "That really reminds me of the old CA-800 highway in Silicon Valley." Having lived in the Bay Area for ten years of my life, I'd driven on 880 countless times.

I picked up the box, curious where the company might have been located. "Surely not," I thought.
IMG_5128.jpg

Up to this point after all these years I'd always assumed California Access was the name of the company. It was actually a brand created by Logical Design Works, located on 780 Montague Expressway, San Jose.

I looked it up on a map.
ca-880Map.jpg
The red pin marks the location of Logical Design Works back in the late 80s and early 90s. It appears to have since changed its name to Logic Design Works and moved locations, but owned by the same founder.

That address is at the intersection of 780 and 880!

I couldn't help but laugh. The drive is made of metal, and it is a "DRIVE". Why not name the thing after the iconic highway seen right out of the window. Hah!
IMG_5129.jpg
"Fully compatible with the A1010" the CA-880 is one sexy (and much quieter) beast.

:boing: <3

Christian

Posted Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:31 pm

I think that drive uses a Citizen unit. Those are belt driven. Probably wouldn’t hurt to get a replacement belt.

I will do that myself once I get a CA880. They look cool.

Signman

Posted Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:45 pm

I just pulled this out of mothballs in my collection. The connector for the rear of case (cable) is somewhat separated and lots of wires are pulled off. I wouldn’t have any idea how to solder back on correctly. Where can i get a cable to replace.

Return to “Conquests”