intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:49 pm

Very, very cool.

I returned from my trip to California today. I'd gone down there to attend the funeral services of my dear friend Chris "Crispy" Brenner.

But upon returning, a donation from a family in Texas awaited me. It wasn't packed very well, unfortunately, and one of the 1581's was damaged. The packing company literally just wrapped each drive with 1-layer of brown paper. ?!

In any case, this C128Dcr was used to run and manage a business for several years. We don't get to hear those kinds of stories with our Commodore 8-bits very often.

I look forward to sharing all of the details when I can later this year.

:commodore: <3

IMG_9610.jpg

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:57 pm

In case you're curious that's a CMD manual for a RAM Drive. The actual RAM Drive did not make the trip, however. Unfortunately it had been lost to the sands of time somewhere along the way.

wildcopper
Seattle, WA

Posted Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:44 am

What an awesome 128DCR setup that was!

The SD-2 drives are really cool. I've worked on one before. They used (for there time) very miniature through-hole capacitors which, unfortunately, are prone to leaking and damaging traces. One article I found along the way: http://gencom64.blogspot.com/2011/03/ms ... r.html?m=1
Ray Carlsen also has a bunch of info.

In case it's any use, here's the list of capacitors and their replacements that I used on mine:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:59 pm

Yuo are just making me very jealous :lol:

comma1571

Posted Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:12 am

I used to have a DCR, the thing was a tank.

Appee

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:29 am

How bad is the broken 1581? Is it repairable?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:34 am

How bad is the broken 1581? Is it repairable?
It was mostly cracked plastic and bent metal. I think I've repaired it for the most part.

Appee

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:58 pm

That's a relief.

Return to “Conquests”