Dynamic_Computing

Posted Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:40 pm

That 68000 socket came out in tiny pieces. Wow... It was nasty under there! New socket installed, still not booting anymore. So.... I took out the ROM socket and it was trashed under there, too. Unfortunately the spare ROM sockets I ordered were garbage. The pics on the bottom we're worthless, and bent and broke within just a moment of trying to install them. Literally no pressure at all and the"pins" snapped right off.
I think I can get a replacement socket locally, hopefully with real pins!
What is so frustrating is that the Amiga did boot after the initial cleanup, and then went to a black screen.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:13 pm

Yeah, mine worked fine after cleanup for a little while too. Then a few weeks later it started giving me color screens. It wasn't until I replaced the CPU and ROM sockets that it started working again. Naturally the battery fluid was still eating up stuff I couldn't see before.
Perhaps the same will be for you too.

Dynamic_Computing

Posted Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:26 pm

I picked up some new ROM sockets & still no love on my poor board. It is alive, as the caps lock light worksband it the composite and RGB detects some signal, bit only goes to a black screen. I noticed on the under side of the board near the ROM sockets the pretty green overlay is showing some copper. Looks like that stupid battery did some real nasty damage. It seems that two ROM pins near this area are maybe shorting, as my tester beeps on these two pins (tested all traces I could - they seem fine.
I was thinking I could re-cover the exposed copper and stop the short.
I have four other Amigas that work fine - why do I torture myself on this one?

Return to “Conquests”