intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:56 pm

Some of you know I'm into the wild and crazy world of text adventures, especially Infocom's. I have a particular fascination for finding Amiga versions as well as C128-compatibles (80-cols for the win!).

Little did I know until recently that a scant few Infocom games actually had full-blown novels written for them, too.
IMG_0511.JPG
Wishbringer, by Infocom, can be found in book form as well as computer text adventure. Who knew?

IMG_0512.JPG
Branded "An Infocom Book". The protagonist on the cover looks to be having a rather bad day.

Much in the same way as a handful of TSR/SSI Gold Box games got uniquely hand-crafted novels, a tiny percentage of Infocom's did, too (mainly games from the sci-fi genre + Zork).

What I love about this latest acquisition (which I obviously haven't read yet - I just got it) is the cover design. They actually went through the trouble to making the book's cover match the game's box design. It's perfect down to the color, and even down to the millimeter of the line placements.
IMG_0513.JPG
Look at that design symmetry!

IMG_0514.JPG
So good.

In terms of this book, the author Craig Shaw Gardener's style is often compared Terry Pratchett, who is known for the 40+ comedic fantasy novels of Discworld.

Beyond having created several independent fantasy series in his own right, Gardener is also famous for having written novelizations for movies including The Lost Boys and Back to the Future. Pretty cool, right?

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:06 am

I remember seeing these but never put too much thought into reading one as I enjoyed the games. I should have because I did have the forgotten realms books and the Buck Rogers books and enjoyed those.

Return to “Conquests”