obitus1990
USA

Posted Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:41 pm

I never was really interested in obtaining an A1000. The lack of a Kickstart ROM, convoluted upgrade path, 256K RAM, etc., made it less than appealing to me. However, I obtained an A1000, from of all places, a local Goodwill store, right here in the middle of Amiga Wasteland, south east Louisiana. I was dumbfounded. It was even in its original box, and looked to be in an immaculate state. No noticeable yellowing, perfect keyboard, AND, a 1MB Insider RAM expansion, as well as the front 256K expansion. The expansion port cover was even still present. The only thing missing were disks, manuals, and a mouse. And, unbelievably, it was priced at LESS THAN $100 USD! I nearly passed out!

After regaining my composure, and making sure there were no hidden cameras filming for some practical jokes show, I grabbed that sucker and practically RAN to the checkout.

Once I got home, I unpacked it completely. Afterwards, I opened it up and checked under the hood. The motherboard is the cleanest I have ever seen. The case basically only has a few minor cosmetic flaws from seemingly being barely used.

What did not impress me was just how cheaply made it feels -- all plastic-y like an A500. I can kind of see now why it may not have been taken seriously by those who were using a PC competitor at the time. It feels like a game console, and I was afraid I would break off the clips holding the case together, given how flimsy the plastic felt, and how difficult it was to unclip one of the sides (I never use anything metal to pry).

I do love the keyboard, with its nice compact size, and, the under-computer storage place.

Either way, I now basically have every member of the Amiga family of computers, except for the 3000T, 4000T, CDTV, and CD32 (all of which I will never own due to the ridiculous prices they are sold for) after having added this primo specimen to my collection.
IMG_8019.JPG
IMG_8020.JPG
IMG_8021.JPG
IMG_8022.JPG
IMG_8018.JPG

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:42 pm

Cool! I have all but given up on an A1000, A3000 or A4000. They just don't come around that often at a decent price. I would love to find one locally at a thrift store but the ones in my area typically charge eBay prices for old tech.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:51 am

Gorgeous! Welcome to the club. I love the A1000, and the upgrade options made back in the day are just wild. It's fun just to learn about some of them and occasionally run into them.

Very cool!

Lorfarius
UK

Posted Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:30 am

Zippy Zapp wrote:Cool! I have all but given up on an A1000, A3000 or A4000. They just don't come around that often at a decent price. I would love to find one locally at a thrift store but the ones in my area typically charge eBay prices for old tech.
Have you considered something like the Checkmate 1500?

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:14 pm

Lorfarius wrote:Have you considered something like the Checkmate 1500?
Is that the case to put your A500 motherboard into that adds some Zorro slots and other things? I haven't really thought about it.

Dynamic_Computing

Posted Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:49 pm

That is a fantastic find! So glad it landed in the hands of someone who cares about the Amiga. Every now and again an incredible deal falls in our laps. A few months back I picked up a working TI99/4A with three games for $10.00!

Return to “Conquests”