intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:11 pm

I've been collecting Infocom titles for a long time, as well as Infocom "paraphernalia" and offshoot products. The games cut across the Amiga (rare), C64 and C128-specific (even rarer). I've logged some of those pickups before. (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 for starters)

This week I happened across a few more of the shrinkwrapped variety, which do not show up very often. On average, I think I see pristine specimens like this maybe once a year or so.

And this time, one of the titles is my personal favorite - something I never thought I'd find in this condition: Lurking Horror.
IMG_1539.jpg
I have another complete copy, but not shrink-wrapped, that can be played at any time. It does really require all of the feelies. This one, as a result, shall stay sealed For-Ev-Vah!

IMG_1536.jpg
Mayfair Computers was a shop in Wisconsin, which looks to have been around in 1988 based on my Googling. This game, incidentally, was shipped to me from Wisconsin, too - presumably the original owner.

And while the first time I played it I had no idea the Amiga version sported sound (so when I was playing the game it totally freaked me out) it's kind of cool to see it being promoted in the form of a sticker on the box.
IMG_1545.jpg
I don't think I'll be scratching and sniffing this, no.

IMG_1538.jpg
IMG_1537.jpg
No, this game did not cost me $28.99

I also picked up Leather Goddesses of Phobos in the same minty condition.

Why this wasn't wrapped in leather, we'll never know.
IMG_1541.jpg
IMG_1540.jpg
IMG_1542.jpg

This brings my "Infocom Store" of shrink-wrapped Amiga titles to 7.
IMG_1544.jpg
That's a lot of Amiga freshness. Everything to the left of Wishbringer is unopened.

There are more perfect boxes out there - I see them - but the prices at this point have me feeling like I'm good where I'm at. Maybe a Moonmist if I ever find one will make it a solid and perfect 8, but I'm not hungry for it. Feels good to think a particular journey has completed.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:18 pm

Sell off your Gamestop stocks and buy Infocomm, LOL...

Return to “Conquests”