intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:52 pm

I picked up a pretty nice book this week for only $10. Yes, I know there's a digital PDF version out there but I like the real deal for easy reference whenever I need it.

I have GEOS for C64 and C128, and I'll be honest that I've never really given it the attention it deserves. My thought in picking up this book was it might finally give the motivation to really appreciate that GUI operating system for our beloved 8-bit machine.
IMG_3635.jpg
You know that old saying, "Don't judge a book by its cover"? Well, I actually did buy this book purely off the excellent cover design and illustration.

The book was written in 1986 by Neil J. Salkind. Turns out he wrote a lot of books over the years, usually concerning statistics.

From About the Author in Google Books:
Neil J. Salkind is Professor Emeritus at the University of Kansas, where he taught in the Department of Educational Psychology for more than 35 years. His interest is in writing about statistics and research methods in an informative, non-intimidating and non-condescending way.
From what I've skimmed so far I'd have to say that's a pretty accurate description in his writing style.

Interestingly, this book appears to have been written before the 1351 mouse was released. The text only refers to using a joystick or the 1350 mouse, which functions similarly to a joystick. I can't stand it unless I'm playing Marble Madness or something like that. But regardless, just thought that was interesting. The 1351 was released in 1986, too, but apparently not in time for the author to hear about it.

IMG_3636.jpg
The book has lots of screenshots and even really chunky font and art examples.

IMG_3637.jpg
Can you believe how much this book cost back in 1986? Wow!

JoeUser
Dallas, TX

Posted Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:40 am

QBD? Wonder what that store was, lol.

Yeah, sometimes I get stuff off eBay that still has the sticker on it, or includes an original paper receipt. I remember just about everything being mega-expensive back then, for sure...

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:18 am

Assuming it's the same thing, a quick Google Search shows QBD being a book chain in Australia! The logo has changed, but that's not too surprising after all of this time.

So assuming it's the same place, somehow this book went from the US (the inside cover says it was printed in the U.S.) all the way to Australia then back to the US (the guy I bought it from lives in Miami, Florida) and eventually to Seattle, WA.

Crazy! Thing is in really nice shape considering how far it has traveled in its lifetime since 1986.

Squint really hard and you can see there was an original (U.S.) price under the sticker of $18.95. The sticker on top is trying to hide that fact.

JoeUser
Dallas, TX

Posted Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:23 pm

intric8 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:18 am
Squint really hard and you can see there was an original (U.S.) price under the sticker of $18.95. The sticker on top is trying to hide that fact.
That sticker price could be in Australian dollars, most likely (well, at that time's exchange rate)? Anyway, yeah, it traveled well!

Return to “Conquests”