rzazar
Northern Virginia

Posted Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:04 pm

I bought 2 Amiga 500 from Germany on eBay and got them just 15 min ago. Both of them are in rough shape. I am going to restore them to their former glory.
I did not test them yet. I'll keep you posted on the progress.
Seems the paint on "German Flag" Amiga is permanent, I tried to wash one of the keys with dish soup and also tried isopropyl alcohol, but no change! Any suggestion?

rzazar
Northern Virginia

Posted Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:38 pm

Update #1 German Flag A500

everything seems working, Happy got 1 Meg Agnus! would be a great addition for future PiStorm!

dalek
Australia

Posted Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:30 pm

oh dear. I fear that paint job is unrecoverable.

Maybe just hang out for the new A500 cases from a1200.net (I'm still waiting for mine 😢)

rzazar
Northern Virginia

Posted Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:52 pm

Update #2

I tried Oxi Clean and Shimmer Lights to remove the paint, they did not work :cry:
Finally, I tried Acrylic Liquid mixed with isopropyl alcohol on one of the keycaps, and voilà, paint gone without damaging the plastic.

I decided to remove all the Keycaps and clean the keyboard plate. The keyboard plate was filthy and disgusting!

after sacrificing a bunch of Q-Tips and stealing my wife's toothbrush here is the end result:

I moved on to clean the top case with an Acrylic Liquid mix, I used all of my liquid and have to buy more tomorrow. but seems the mixture is eating up the plastic a little and it is only good for a quick clean up of the Keycaps, not the whole case.

I will focus on cleaning the mainboard and floppy on my next attempt.
Last edited by rzazar on Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dalek
Australia

Posted Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:47 pm

holy smokes great work! what a save 👍

obitus1990
USA

Posted Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:47 am

I'd just give it a coat of primer and paint it before risking damaging the plastic any further. Acrylic monomer is an organic solvent that dissolves plastics and crazes others. Use oil based paint in an HVLP sprayer, or get a rattle can of spray paint that matches the case cover as closely as possible.

BTW, you might want to disassemble the keyboard even further and remove the metal plate underneath. If there was that level of mank on top, there's bound to be some between the plastic, the membrane underneath it, and the metal support under it.

rzazar
Northern Virginia

Posted Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:45 am

I will try different ways to remove the paint as an experiment.
I just purchased a reasonable price A500 case from the UK today, eventually, I will swap the case.
I will disassemble the keyboard to clean the keyboard membrane and replace the broken plunger for key "7" after I clean the paint on keycaps and retro bright them.

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:49 am

Great work!

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:03 am

Wow! Glad you are making progress but yeah might be a candidate for a pro level paint job vs the finger paint style school yard paint job this poor Amiga received.

I love the tweets on twitter from people saying to leave it as is for cultural and historic sake. LOL. This is one paint job that needs to be erased from history...

McTrinsic

Posted Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:41 pm

Check out retrohax.net .

On his Blog, he‘s doing this kind of work in a dozen.

Return to “Conquests”