intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:12 pm

As I mentioned the other day, I surprisingly won an auction for a CyberVision 64/3D RTG graphics card for a stunning $157. I realize that's a lot of money, but for a card like this it's a total bargain. It's at least $100-200 less than what I'm used to seeing this card sell for on Ebay.

In any case, I got it so I could put it into the same machine that I recently installed a Phase 5 CyberStorm Mk2 060 @ 50Mhz. Yep, that means pulling my ZZ9000.

The graphics card arrived today.

This first photo, with note added to the inside top-flap of the box by the seller, I guess kind of says it all.
IMG_6781.jpg
IMG_6783.jpg
IMG_6784.jpg

My hope is to simply move the ZZ9000's drivers in the Devs/Monitors drawer out and over to Storage (thanks to toaster4000 for the advice) and drop the new card in. Since I already installed the drivers my dream is it'll simply work. It might take some fiddling, but hopefully nothing too complicated. When dealing with hardware projects like this I sometimes feel like I'm walking on eggshells a bit mainly due to my lack of experience. My biggest fear would be pulling the ZZ and the machine deciding not to boot anymore. I will scan the Startup-sequence and User-startup really quickly to ensure there aren't any obvious calls to ZZ software.

If the CyberVision does what I want it to do (i.e. work with other programs I have installed), I'll seriously consider selling the ZZ so someone else can enjoy it in all its glory. Hopefully I'll have that answer fairly soon.

A1-X1000
Toronto, Canada

Posted Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:55 pm

holy you’ve got a heck of a lot of luck lately with EBay and damn hard to find quality Zorro cards for a cheap price :o

Please let me know if you want to sell your ZZ9000 as I’ve got a VA2000 which is working nicely in my A4000 but the CX card that’s a pass through doesn’t show all the AGA colours and as I’m a big demo watcher that’s been bothering me.
Though I really like the speed of my ethernet card so I’m hoping I can just use the ZZ for the RTG part without installing the ethernet

Dynamic_Computing

Posted Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:27 pm

The Cyberstorm is certainly an excellent card. I have one in my Amiga 4000 and it works just fantastic! It eats my slow little Picasso II for lunch, but I love that card too...

Hans

Posted Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:19 pm

You got an awesome deal. In working condition, those graphics boards usually sell for $500 to $700, and that is if you can find one on eBay. That is one of the two best graphics boards for the Amiga computer, the other is the Picasso IV. The only bad thing is that most Amiga software will never use that board. It is mainly used for producing a fancy Workbench and for boosting ones ego. So, you have to think to yourself, do you actually need a graphics board in your Amiga computer, and what are you going to use it for. Because, most Amiga software, especially the games, run great on a STOCK Amiga 500 with 512K of Chip memory and 512K of Fast memory.

McTrinsic

Posted Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:32 am

A GFX board is great if you plan to use some Workbench-Programs.

Also, WHDLoad is neat if you start it off a nice Workbench design.

Return to “Conquests”