intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:59 am

I've been collecting minty Infocom titles for years with a primary focus on Amiga and C128.

Both of these computers provide 80-column experiences that I personally prefer. I can actually read the text comfortably without reading glasses. Thankfully, I'm not yet living in the fat 40-column world of C64 text adventures (although I may be getting closer than I like to admit). With extra columns, though, they also allow more text to be on-screen before the need to scroll, which I like.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.
In any case, I'd thought I was done. I decided long ago I wasn't going to simply collect titles for the sake of collecting (nothing wrong with that, though). For me, it was all about - at least in my mind - collecting titles I actually wanted to play. Some day.
A hollow voice says "Fool".
I've often been asked, "But why for the Amiga?" The Amiga is so much more than text on a screen! It's all about graphics and sound. Honestly, I find that opinion understandable, but not where I'm at. I believe, deep down, the total focus on graphics and sound it part of the reason the Amiga was oft forgotten as a "serious" computer. Fun fact: some of the text editors on Amiga are fantastic.

Finding the original Zork titles in big-box format for Amiga is tough. So when I saw a Trilogy version, I knew I had to go for it. All three in one? I convinced myself, "In a way I'll save money by getting the trilogy and not trying to get one at a time."

I decided a while back I would never ever pay for a boxed game that was damaged or incomplete in any way except in extremely rare circumstances. I'm happy to report this copy is immaculate, just like the rest of my Infocom titles.

IMG_9496.jpg
IMG_9498.jpg
IMG_9500.jpg
IMG_9501.jpg
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:57 pm

Well that looks like your pension is sorted right there sir :lol:

In all seriousness, I did not know a trilogy version was even made. Nice find. That experience on a CRT is pure nostalgia in concentrated form.

Return to “Conquests”