LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:06 am

Since I've gotten my Amiga 500 (which is getting a Wicher 500i whenever Amigastore.eu manages to get a few in stock for more than a couple of hours!), my Mac Mini G4 with MorphOS, my iBook G4 (also with MorphOS), and my IBM ThinkPad T40 with AROS, it's safe to say that the Amiga bug clamped its jaws into me and is not letting go any time soon. :) So I haven't really shut up about my newfound love for the platform at all, now that I've experienced it once again at the hardware level!

One of my friends on Twitter took notice of this and PM'ed me there one day. The conversation went something like this:

Him: "Hey, I've got a couple of Amiga 4000s here that I haven't been arsed to do much of anything with. I'm looking to unload them to good homes, and I saw you're getting pretty into the Amigas, so I thought I'd ask you first!"

Me: "Sure, sounds interesting! What are the specs?"

Him: "Can I show you on Skype?"

So we do a Skype call. He shows me the parts he has: a 68040 CPU card. 16MB RAM in SIMMs for the board. Rev. B motherboard, freshly recapped. What looks like a Picasso IV video card, which means flicker fixer and scan doubler! Hard drive is stock 120MB. No optical drive. PSU and power button look solid. Fresh Kickstart 3.1 ROM chips from Cloanto installed.

Me: "Looks great! Anything I should know?"

Him: "The machine boots to a blue screen. The CPU temperature shows 105F when I scan it, but the Buster is cold."

Me: "I'm willing to fix it up. How much do you want for it?"

Him: "Just cover shipping. The only payment I want is you get it working and show me a video of it working once you do."

Me: "DEAL!"

So now I have coming to me, at long last, an Amiga 4000 that needs some fixing up. And all for the cost of shipping. I've finally gotten an AGA based Amiga, and one of the most advanced in the line, just to get it fixed up and keep it! I'll be asking friends online for advice on where to tackle, but if it's indeed the Buster chip only, that's easy to switch!

The Amiga should be coming next Monday, but I don't know if I can wait that long! :D

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:44 am

Is it an NTSC or PAL machine? North American plugs?

LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:55 am

It's an NTSC machine, so I should be good to go.

mattsoft

Posted Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:39 pm

Congrats -- that's an awesome score! Post pics when you get it!

LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:58 am

Absolutely! :D

LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:13 pm

Hey mattsoft, I did better than just pics... how about an unboxing?? :D

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:57 pm

Looking forward to seeing you figure out that chip issue and brining that old girl back to life!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:41 pm

Found this tonight - you may want to bookmark it.

Heck, you might even want to hit this guy up on Facebook. Seems to be a 4000 guru. He's in the Amiga group.

mattsoft

Posted Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:46 pm

LambdaCalculus wrote:Hey mattsoft, I did better than just pics... how about an unboxing?? :D
Ooh la la! That could have gone all ways of bad -- glad a 4000 was inside instead of hundreds of pieces of broken plastic. :)

LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:24 am

That big-ass metal casing could take a cow stampede and still be whole! :lol:

So, quick update: my friend had to take the graphics card out because he noticed that it had bad caps on the board and wasn't outputting when he tested it on his other A4000, and didn't want to give me broken expansions. So now a graphics card is on the parts list.

Return to “Conquests”