intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri May 04, 2018 5:23 pm

I love the rainbow checkmark as much as the next guy, but check this shiz out.
IMG_4966.jpg
I bought two and the seller threw a third one in there for me for free. Pretty sweet. The seller used to head up the Amiga Users Group out of South Jersey back in the day. He also ran a pretty large Amiga BBS called Your Link to Perfection.

These Boing Ball badges are shrouded in a bit of mystery - at least to me they are.

My foggy memory tells me this little badge was the preferred official Amiga logo by the original Amiga engineers. This was pre-acquistion days by Commodore. But after Amiga got bought out, the logo was made the rainbow checkmark at that stage. That’s what I heard at least. But a few of the original boing ball badges had been made. And here are three of them.

They fit perfectly into the square spot currently displaying the checkmark on the 1000, 1010, etc.
square.jpg

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri May 04, 2018 8:31 pm

I posted the image of these badges in a few places and Martin McDonald shared some pics with me on Facebook. In 2015 he was witness to Dave Needle outside the Amiga 30th birthday party back in June 2015.

Dave's particular machine was S/N A10000001!

The machine had a crazy custom made wooden stand that made it vertical (!!) for demonstration purposes. He also still used the boing ball logo badge on his own 1000, too.

Photo credits: Martin McDonald.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 7.54.56 PM.png
(That's the photographer's son, by the way.)

Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 7.54.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 7.54.35 PM.png
DcZxYV1VAAAWsuQ.jpg

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri May 04, 2018 8:52 pm

Just had Dave Haynie chime in about these badges.
Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 8.49.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 8.51.32 PM.png

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri May 04, 2018 10:25 pm

From the guy I got the badges from, Steve George (from New Jersey). Posting with permission:
i was there from the very beginning
almost took a job with GVP
picked these [badges] up at a show..maybe the big one in new york in early 90s
i grabbed maybe 20 and we stuck them all over
these were the last bunch
we had dave haynie at one of our meetings and met rj
i was there when newtek was born
when we first got these a1000 and they were like $1200...a group of us got them and the ONLY software for months and months were demos
we all got the flight sim and had the bouncing ball demo and showed off our machines with them
everybody was meeting to share and swap..there were 3 computer clubs, north, central and south
the central one was cloest to me and in its heyday, 100s met each month at rutgers
at one time 68020s and halfbrite chips were the rage...then we were hacking us robotics modems to make them go faster
as far as the logo., i liked both...but the ball defined the amiga..when you clicked the mouse and it just went faster...boggled the mind
i have many other amiga souvenirs (tshirts, posters, software etc)
a friend of mine was an artist and ended up getting a job at corporate, then went to maxis
was very sad to see it fail

Return to “Conquests”