intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:50 pm

Your gorgeous photo is on Reddit as well and has generated quite a bit of discussion over there. Key question: why is the game off-center?

I'm curious - does that have an Instagram filter on it?

primitivefunction

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:37 pm

intric8 wrote:Your gorgeous photo is on Reddit as well and has generated quite a bit of discussion over there. Key question: why is the game off-center?
That’s just the way the game is - I assure you it’s not the monitor alignment.

Both the title screen and game itself are aligned left - definitely odd for an Amiga game I know. If you check Youtube play-throughs you’ll see it is the same even on emulation. I could have adjusted the monitor to centre it but then I would be messing with how most folks would have seen the game back in the 80s (unless they were adjusting the monitor controls for every game).

And just to prove the point, here’s Captain Blood which is using (I’m guessing) the more typical 320 width. No monitor adjustments were made between games.
A1000_captainblood.jpg

primitivefunction

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:39 pm

intric8 wrote:I'm curious - does that have an Instagram filter on it?
No Instagram involved. I shot this with a Nikon DSLR with 2 exposures being made, one for the screen and one for the rest. There were some minor tweaks in Photoshop.

Glad to see folks are enjoying it. :)

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:19 pm

I just love that. It's like you've created daytime and nighttime shots now. And thanks for the clarifications.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:39 pm

People should actually watch my videos once in awhile, they'd know these things ahead of time... https://youtu.be/9beQE-urQWk?t=18m5s

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:29 pm

@Shot - I've watched your video before - in total awe as I've never seen anyone master it like that before. But I forgot about the off-set screen over there on your video. That being said, the discussion was coming from Reddit peeps.

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:59 am

Shot97 wrote:People should actually watch my videos once in awhile, they'd know these things ahead of time... https://youtu.be/9beQE-urQWk?t=18m5s
Nice! I must’ve tried that 1000 times and failed in a rage. Interesting note about the display presentation.

primitivefunction

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:11 pm

Nice video. Marble Madness holds a special place for me as it was one of the first Amiga games I ever played. I never managed to complete it - could only get as far as the final stage.

Annoyingly the game doesn’t have a pause function which makes bathroom breaks difficult or, in this case, taking a photo of the gameplay!

BTW this is my preferred device for playing:
kraft_track.jpg
Kraft Trackball - this thing is a monster!

primitivefunction

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:16 pm

Made an interesting discovery this morning: this Amiga 1000 does not seem to support half-brite (EHB) mode. I guess that confirms it’s one of the early ones.
nohalfbright.gif
DPaint III: No half-brite colours

A10001986

Posted Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:15 am

Look at your Denise chip (8362). If it is R5 (or R4), there's no EHB. EHB was introduced in R6.

Return to “Conquests”