Discuss your latest vintage Amiga finds!
intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

James Clavell's Shogun: No Sayonara Here!

by intric8 Sun May 29, 2016 3:44 pm

As some of you may have figured out by now, I have a bit of a soft spot for textual and graphical adventures. Whether from Infocom, Sierra or Lucasfilm, I'm a story guy. But I also have my limits. If a game becomes to painfully obtuse or sadistic, I'll break. I really want to absorb the atmosphere and get into the story, not solve so-called "puzzles" (or locks without a logical key) simply for the sake of killing time. If you throw graphics at me, that may just enhance the atmosphere I'm already after. And for some subjects, I think visuals are a huge win.

One such example is James Clavell's Shogun, by Infocom. I never read the best-selling book. (Maybe some day.) But I am a fan of the artist of the game, Donald Longosy, who was known more for his work in "Journey".

In any case, I picked up a boxed working copy for a mere $12. Win! (Journey, sealed, cost me much more but is a prized top-shelf possession.) The feelies in this box were only a map representing John Blackthorne's "known world" of 1600, and a little booklet about samurai swords, which is really more of a quad-fold pamphlet. Nothing too earth shattering, but still kind of interesting.

Very nice condition, too.
shogun2.jpg
Shogun, front cover
shogun1.jpg
Shogun, back cover
shogunMap.JPG
John Blackthorne's map