intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:15 pm

This is something I've been circling like a shark since last year. It was posted on Ebay with misspellings and not even the word "Commodore".
IMG_0386.JPG
Dang that's a big Infocom box you got there, sir! Why, yes it is. Yes, it is.

IMG_0387.JPG
Stairway to heaven.

And not only is this set for Commodore, but it is specifically for Commodore 128! To find A Mind Forever Voyaging on C128-specific media is jaw-dropping to say the least. I've got the only version of it I've ever seen for Amiga, actually, which I made a copy of and submitted to TOSEC a couple of years ago. In any case, this is the first time I've seen the complete boxed version for C128 - so I'm totally over the moon.
IMG_0388.JPG
Commodore 128 specific! 80-column glory in 8-bits, yo.

IMG_0389.JPG
And yes - each of these are C128 versions, and each is 100% complete. It's like they were moved around a lot because the sleeve has some minor damage, and some of the box corners do, too, but other than that - unused. Waiting for today.
IMG_0390.JPG
I needed a new pair of shades to cover my tears of joy.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:35 pm

Dude that is awesome. I can't say enough good things about Infocom. I wish I still had all the different sets that I had.

Nice find. I didn't even know they made this bundle.

rpiguy9907

Posted Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:12 pm

Are you aware that some Commodore 128 Infocom games have gotten a recent patch? Apparently even though they are in 80-column mode they don't enable FAST mode, which speeds up scrolling and such quite a bit.\

https://www.reddit.com/r/infocom/commen ... com_games/

So cool that people are out there working on this kind of stuff out of their passion for the platform.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:38 pm

Are you aware that some Commodore 128 Infocom games have gotten a recent patch? Apparently even though they are in 80-column mode they don't enable FAST mode, which speeds up scrolling and such quite a bit.
Yes indeed - it's super cool. I chatted with that guy on Reddit a bit when he was releasing things. It boggles my mind that (seemingly so many) C128 games from Infocom weren't coded to take full advantage of the 2Mhz proc.

For that matter, Infocom could have written their games for CP/M format for 128 users, and tapped into 4 Mhz at 80 cols! That would have been amazing, right? I mean... amazing to initially load the game, I guess. :D

Return to “Conquests”