Should AmigaLove.com Add a New Section for Non-Commodore Computers?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:47 am

Yes
65%
No
35%
I'm conflicted (will explain in a comment below)
No votes

Total votes: 17
intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:47 am

Hey Everyone,

This is an Amiga Computer forum. And it's also a Commodore 64/128 forum. But it's also over time become a "vintage whatever" forum by extension with the addition of the Retro Corner.

I was thinking of adding a new section: "Non-Commodore Retro" or something like that. This could allow for any brand: PC/DOS, Atari, Acorn, ZX Spectrum - whatever it is that you have on your mind or your workbench that you'd like to talk about or share or ask questions about.

I for one am 99% Commodore focused. But I actually also have a deep love for early Macintosh (I wish I had more space!). I actually have a really kick ass Powerbook I've maxed out and a ruby iMac I bought brand new back in the day that still works beautifully and I adore. That machine holds very special meaning to me, as I wrote my wife countless extremely well-crafted emails with my Earthlink account over a dial-up modem, and naturally my prose was so mind blowing she eventually accepted my proposal in marriage. :) I also have recently jumped into late-90s PC/DOS machines for an Amiga-related reason. And honestly it's gorgeous and I think many of you here might love to see it and talk about the Why I Did It.

Anyway, curious if folks would welcome a new section or if they think it would "muddy the water" here. Poll will run for a week.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:55 am

Absolutely. Were you thinking subsections for like PC/DOS, Macintosh and then everything else? Or just one section anything goes?

I am also a user of classic PCs/DOS and I love my old Macs, some of which I have had for 25 years.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:25 am

Were you thinking subsections ... or just one section anything goes?
Just one big Wild West section.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:09 pm

Makes sense. I love this site primarily cause of its tight knit Amiga focus, but probably like most of us, I have other retro passions that stretch across consoles, computers and pinball. Would be a good experiment, and if no one talks, close it up.

McTrinsic

Posted Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:54 pm

There is this nice Atari 7800 that I could add to the showroom.

walldog

Posted Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:31 pm

I like this idea.. I ponder if there should be sub sections as mentioned above but yeah most of us probably into other things as well.. cool cool..

finrock
Cupertino, California

Posted Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:35 pm

Yes, this sounds like it could be fun! I'm always interested in learning about non-Commodore retro things.

Appee

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:11 am

There isn't a retro arcade box section. It would be small, but pinball could join it's ranks as well.

dittotb

Posted Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:19 am

Go for it. Sounds like a great idea.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:17 am

OK folks - it's done! A new Site Section has been born.

Presenting: Non-Commodore 8-16 Bits

It's current description:
A place for all computers or consoles that weren't made by Commodore: Apple, Tandy, Acorn, Sinclair, Nintendo, Sega - you get the idea.

As a result, I updated the descriptions of Commodore 8 Bits as well as Retro Corner.

Commodore 8 Bits used to allow for any 8-bit machine from any brand. Now it is tightly focused on Commodore since the new section accounts for all others.

And, I updated Retro Corner to be non-Computer/Console related.
A place for anything 70s-90s: board games, gadgets, toys, entertainment - anything non-computer/console related!
I am going to do a bit more house-cleaning and organization in the meantime.

Return to “Site News”