intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:02 am

With the rise of 3D printing, and the yellowing of many original vintage computer parts, several folks have gone out and experimented with either painting their computers or retr0brighting.

Both have their ups and downs.

But at least from a painting perspective the variables are often fewer and the results much more apparent in a shorter amount of time. Both options can be potentially destructive, so it takes a very special case for me to want to go either route. But, if I was looking at a case like this (which I've since given away to a local friend) I'd go the paint route without hesitation.
5-IMG_6299-nasty-128c.jpg
I used to call this the C128 Desert Storm edition.

Retrohax out of Poland has come up with 3 different spray paint colors ready to go. They are not "normal" prices for a can of spray paint, but the color guesswork has at least been removed from the equation and they are even open to creating future colors based if enough requests are made.

There is Commodore 64C /64G Beige color option.
c64cbeige.jpg
Photo © Retrohax.net

There is an Amiga 500 color.
Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 7.46.14 AM.png
Photo © Retrohax.net

And there is even an Atari ST/XE color.
atari-st-paint.jpg
Photo © Retrohax.net

However, there are two issues as of September 2, 2020.

1) It's pretty pricey. $28/can is over 3 times what a can of Krylon costs in the US (and there are some shades that are quite close depending on the part/case you're aiming for). Is this paint that much better? Possibly. He did actually have the paint manufactured to his specs, which is pretty impressive.

2) But more importantly, as of right now it's only being sold within Poland.
Due to flight restrictions of pressurized materials, shipping ONLY TO POLAND – please contact us if you want to get this product.

We are currently working on a new shipping solution.
I'm guessing that will get sorted out, but how much might it cost to ship 1 can of spray paint (or two) half-way around the globe? Unless you live in Poland, it might not make a lot of sense. But believe me when I say there are some options out there closer to home that can indeed produce pretty impressive results.

Before you run off to Ace Hardware or your local model shop (if your town even has one anymore) I'd recommend checking out the excellent post by Retrohax on how to do the paint job in the first place. It's a very nice step-by-step guide with pics.

McTrinsic

Posted Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:00 am

I know that guy. Really cool.

If you really crave for that stuff I could send it over.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:34 am

Retrohax, commenting on this story on Reddit:
Hi guys, I am a store owner. The problem with shipping is that cans are pressurized (obviously) and there are certain restrictions when sending such products. Pressurized materials cannot be simply transported through air. I am working with UPS to make it possible but so far it looks like I will have to go through some sort of training and exam. Another problem is that such parcels are way more expensive. Obviously, I wasn't aware of all above until I've sent the first can ... which returned shortly with a warning note :( There is another option, to send these packages through land transportation but it will be limited to Europe so still not the best solution. I am currently waiting for more info from a courier company. Sorry for inconvenience :(

dddaaannn

Posted Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:55 pm

There's no way I'm painting over that gorgeous Desert Storm 128 you gave me, but it's nice to have the option. :)

Return to “Hardware”