intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:44 am

IMG_8944.jpg
Love even way more modern consoles on the 1702. I don't need a gigantic screen. I just need an arcade-quality screen.

These last few months I've not played Amiga games like I used to the last several years. I've gotten really distracted by hardware projects. And the world. I'm nearly done with hardware jockeying, but it feels like as soon as I get to the end I realize I have another mile to go.

As a result, my vintage gaming has become very scattered and unfocused.

A week ago my son wanted me to play a game he found terrifying on iOS called Granny. He really wanted me to play it so I finally did. It's an atmospheric jump scare game. The idea is you are supposed to solve puzzles to get out of the house without making a single sound or she'll find you and kill you.

Very uplifting.

But honesty the visuals really reminded me of mid-90s 3D games, and I was like, "Dude, if you want to see a great creepy game that is 20 years old but looks even better than this, we should play Resident Evil 2" which was one of my favorite games from back then. It was one of the few games that really grabbed my imagination and I played it - and finished it - in just a week or two. Lots of fun late nights with that one.

Anyway, I dug the old Playstation out of a box and hooked it into my C= 1702. The movie clips kind of stutter, but the game itself plays perfectly.

We've played it the last 3 nights in a row and I think I'm about half-way done with the game already if not even further. I have to say I've really surprised myself with how much of the game I remember; the puzzle solutions are like 1/10 the challenge of what I remember when I did it the first time.

Anyhoo. It's not Amiga or C64 but it's a lot of fun. And Graham sitting here going along for the ride is always something I really cherish with these experiences. And seeing him cover his ears or eyes? That's what it's all about, guys.

McTrinsic

Posted Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:02 pm

Great story to share.
Never played any of the RE series.
Wasn’t into gaming much in the mid-90ies to mid-2010ies. Just my minimum dose of cRPGs.

What I did play, though:

S Y S T E M S H O C K I & II

Man that scared the heck out of me, especially the first game. Groundbreaking in immersion factor. Also featuring quite an appropriately fitting backstory.

At one time I even found myself tilting my head trying to look around a corner...

Just make sure whoever plays/watches it is of an appropriate age.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:18 pm

Just make sure whoever plays/watches it is of an appropriate age.
Yeah, I hear that. To be honest, I think a few folks might frown on Graham watching this game, which is kinda gory at times. Most of the time it's simply creepy. But every so often, the gore emerges (and the sounds are CD quality, if a bit B-movie). My daughter even came into the room at one point - she is 2 years older than Graham - and said, "This is kinda gory."

She and I have watched some horror movies together: Jaws, Jaws 2, Poltergeist, Lost Boys... The Shining.

I think The Shining was a bad idea, but she really wanted to do it (it's one of my faves, so it was easy for me. But it must have been mind crushing for her). Some of her friends had seen it and she'd worked up the courage to ask. So we did.

We haven't seen a lot of horror movies since then. Hah! Poor thing.

Anyhoo - with RE2, it's mostly a creepy puzzle game. But it has occasional jump scares. And if you ever die, it can be kinda ridiculous AND gross. So, yeah, it's not for little ones that's for sure.

McTrinsic

Posted Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:39 pm

Sounds like you should really look into System Shock, then.

There is a remake from Kickstarter that could arrive end of year.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:48 am

If you are finding video to be a little jittery, stand the PSX on its side instead of sitting it as it is designed to. There's a heat problem that the designers didn't take into account when it was made, and, the overheating will cause all sort of glitchy video, etc. Mine does this too, even with a brand new OEM replacement drive, unless I stand it on its side (I made brackets that will keep it in this position).

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:07 pm

Looking at the picture above - the CBM 1702 seems to add a bit to the creepy atmosphere.

Looks like an old lab or so 😉

Return to “Non-Commodore Scenes”