fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:27 am

Hi all, I posted this a few days ago on EAB in the WinUAE forum. Lots of views, but no responses, which suggests one of two things, I am crazy or this is something new that no one has come across before.
I thought I would post it here to see if any of you good folk have any ideas. Here is what I said:

So I was setting up the display and filter configurations for my Amiga 1200 and I noticed that depending on which application is running, it has a different position on the screen. Sometimes it is actually cut off.

I have uploaded 5 images that illustrates what I am seeing.
Amiga Alignments_00000.jpg
Amiga Alignments_00000.jpg shows the floppy disk waiting screen. This actually shows perfect alignment with a full digital PAL SD raster of 788x576. So things look good here.
Amiga Alignments_00001.jpg
Amiga Alignments_00001.jpg shows my workbench which is PAL Hires Laced with oversan set to max res of 724x566. You can see a slight offset to the left here.
Amiga Alignments_00002.jpg
Amiga Alignments_00002.jpg show Deluxe Paint in 640x512 mode. The offset is a lot more dramatic.
Amiga Alignments_00003.jpg
Amiga Alignments_00003.jpg has Deluxe Paint again but with the resolution set to 736x588. This is actually an expected result as the document size is larger than the display, however it is still shifted to the left.
Amiga Alignments_00004.jpg
Amiga Alignments_00004.jpg now does something completely different with Imagine 2. It is shifted all the way to the right and bottom of the screen.

I would not expect this when running this on my real A1200. I certainly don't remember it happening. Is this a setting that I am missing or is there something more fundamental going on?

McTrinsic

Posted Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:53 pm

Is it running on your main OS or inside a virtual machine?

When running WinUAE within an emulated Windows 7 machine I also experience issues with the display.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:30 am

It is in my main OS, Windows 10.

McTrinsic

Posted Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:03 am

Could you try the same with a 3.1 ROM?

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:29 pm

Right gave 3.1 a go. This is from a clean install in WinUAE, so very vanilla.
Amiga Alignments_S2_00000.jpg
The boot screen looks good and not changes to the 3.1.4 install.
Amiga Alignments_S2_00001.jpg
Workbench also looks good and the offset is exactly the same.
Amiga Alignments_S2_00002.jpg
Deluxe Paint in 640 x 480 matches the 3.1.4 install
Amiga Alignments_S2_00003.jpg
Interestingly, the full overscan screen format does change the screen somewhat. We now have more screen space on the right. The offset is slightly different.
Amiga Alignments_S2_00004.jpg
Lastly, we have Imagine, which is completely different. It now snaps to the same offset as the rest of the apps and workbench.

So definitely changed things, not dramatically, but it did change. Next test, I will do this on my real Amiga. BRB.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:21 pm

So not the results I was expecting:
OverScan 1.jpg
The overscan was too much for my monitor, so I scaled it back
OverScan 2.jpg
Nice.

And so that is as far as I could go. When starting up Deluxe Paint and Imagine, my monitor crapped out. Frequencies were too high I suspect. I really need to get my Phillips 8833 fixed.

McTrinsic

Posted Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:54 am

Thanks a lot for checking. For a moment I was concerned you might have found something in 3.1.4.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:57 pm

Just got information back from Toni from WinUAE. The principle problem was scaling in the filter dialog was set to default. I had to try the ‘no scaling’ option. That worked a treat, even with different overscan settings. There is also a little bit of shift to be expected, especially with different resolutions.

I tested it again and every one sits perfectly centre. As I was doing this testing, I really came to appreciate the marvel that is WinUAE. Just being able to translate the analog display signals to a digital window is bloody impressive.

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:39 am

Thanks for sharing the solution!!

Return to “Software”