walldog

Posted Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:23 pm

Old post Shot but interesting still today.. I am curious if you are still using ATALKIII and settings you might recommend. I am still learning and thumbing through the manual. I did however discover that if I select full screen mod vs workbench I get more color options. Now I was playing between VT100 mode which according to manual supports ANSI and I noticed on (I think it was AmigaCity BBS) that messages had another (Ill call it emoji for lack of better description) in the top right vs when I just roll with ANSI its not there. That said I feel strangly that ANSI is really the best option to use on ATALK and that is where I have it set. I have selected different colors but I can't seem to get them precisely how I would like. Maybe Ill get a screen shot of what particles or something looks like with ATALK vs 64Door. Good commentary..

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:17 am

I've got a thread here on getting the Amiga online, and if that doesn't show off most of my settings there's a video linked there as well. I use ANSI almost exclusively on A-Talk, that's simply the emulation most boards use, although that VT-100 mode seems to work with all the ANSI ones I tried it on, and maybe some people might like that font more. Otherwise I think all the other board emulation modes are not used these days.

I did responded to your post on Particles, and while I don't particularly wish for this to come off as nasty, I am a firm believer in giving absolute credit where it is due, and when the opposite does not occur from others I do get a little ticked off... Not from you but in a reply to that post on Particles, so I would thus like to just leave this quote from the very thread featured on this board, noting that nobody helped me in finding A-Talk III, a wonderful program from one of the creators of the Amiga.

December 25th, 2016, 3:23 pm
"I had absolutely no help in collecting the information for this guide. All other guides steered me way off track, all advice simply did not work. I give absolutely no thanks to anybody on the internet for the collection of this information other than myself, and Intric8 for links to a couple good BBS’. I felt stupid trying in vain to get this to happen, and to get it to happen cheaply… Because when nobody out there can even tell you how to get your system online in the first place, why would you want to pay money on new hardware you don’t even know is going to work?"

May also be worthwhile to read a couple of the replies to that thread from others noting how they are now going to try A-Talk III...

-> the guide viewtopic.php?f=5&t=168

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:15 am

Hey Shot!

Sorry if I torqued your jaw. That was not intentional. I had to go back through all the stuff after the fact to refresh my 49 year old brain. Back in December of 2016 I was connecting to BBSes via my C64. I started using WiFi modems in 2017 with my Amigas.

I was always a bit in awe of your TCPSER setup and remember you helping me with it on my own end. IIRC (maybe not?!) I wasn't able to get it to work unless I simply copied your files over, which I think you gave me to try.

What I had in 2016, and misremembered the timeline, was an original disk of ATalk3 given to me by a local fella named Skip. And then I put the ADFs out there later on. That's the timeline I got garbled up. It was last year (I think) where I found a box filled with various versions that I have been meaning to image but still just haven't gotten around to it.

Anyway, your A500 guide and video from Dec 2016 is great! And I hope more folks find it and learn from it for years to come.

rmanicardi

Posted Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:52 am

Hi, I'm trying to run ColorTerm on an Amiga 500 (kickstart 1.3) but I have the following error:

- unable to open revision 34 or later of the ARP library

Any clues of what this can be related to and how to fix it?

Thanks!

LocalH
Kingsport, TN

Posted Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:32 pm

You'll need arp.library from this package. Depending on how you use your 1.3 Amiga, you may find the entire package useful.

Return to “Software”