acolic

Posted Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:42 pm

Hi

Looking for some advice to which card to buy for my A500.

Looking for a card to speed things up a bit and to run WB 3.14 from a CF card.

Also once installed needs to fit / work with the ECS Indivision card.

Thanks a lot.

Alex

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:41 pm

@acolic,

Not sure if you saw the new unfolding drama, but today Stephen Leary officially deleted all of his YouTube videos and has apparently left the Amiga hobby scene for good.

He dropped a video about 4 days ago with the promise that when it hit 1,000 views it, too, would be deleted. I caught it at 985.

Some time in the next 30 minutes it was gone as was his channel.

So if you are after a TF534 it'll have to be after-market. Well... actually, maybe not. That's partly the reason he decided to quit. Apparently someone from Poland who relocated to Germany was cloning his boards against Stephen's will. So there may be more TF cards out there after all, but without any future support or updates.

BloodyCactus
Lexington VA

Posted Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:20 am

whats worse about all this "My github has all my projects removed" he deleted his open source content.. I understand why he doesnt want to make more stuff but to delete the opensource stuff is like a 2 year old having a hissy fit and stomping his feet.

acolic

Posted Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:16 am

I am surprised he could do that because the point of open source is that he gave up the license and now it is owned by the community.

I wonder under which open source model he released the schematics.

Any way I ordered a Wicher 508.

Seems what I need. My only concern is will it mount in the case with an ECS Indivision.

Alex

bwldrbst

Posted Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:30 pm

Making something open source isn't that same as public domain. The author of the work still retains copyright and is free to direct how the source can be used which is why there's many different open source licenses, some more restrictive than others. I'm happy to publish any Amiga related code I write with a nonrestrictive BSD-type license but others are free to choose GPL or some other license or release it into the public domain.

As the author and copyright holder Stephen has every right to do what he's done. I think it's a huge shame that this has happened as he was contributing an enormous amount to the Amiga community but the blame rests squarely with the jerks who cloned the card against his wishes before he was ready to open it. My understanding is that he was recouping the costs of development by selling the cards for some months before opening up the design.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:33 am

Is anyone close to Stephen who could maybe bring him back to the camp fire? It is a shame that an active member of our community walks away.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:15 am

@fxgogo
Based on his last video, I think anything he ever does going forward with be for himself or close friends, not the community as a whole. Pretty sure he's done. If he came back it would be one of the strangest, most surprising reversals I'll have ever seen.

blindguy

Posted Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:16 pm

He's done this before and IF he does come back I'm sure he will leave again.

Not sure if I would ever utilize or purchase another FT product based on his attitude.

I still have no idea what happened and there were all kinds of posts about it.
Someone may have done this and someone may done that and this guys name may be this and the PBC company may have done this. Something about not shipping to Poland and someone in Poland started making the boards.

No one wants to say the guys name or who did what - the only thing I know is that Stephen likes to take his toys and go home. Screw the Amiga community because some guy no one wants to expose in public did something and is reproducing a board that he was going to make public in the future.

If he was going to make it public in the future wouldn't people be able to make their own anyway? But someone made one before Sir Stephen say "Make it now." So Stephen takes not only this but the other products that many people already have away from everyone else. If the other guy already produced the board how does this stop him from making new ones in the future? What if I bought a FT and I have a problem with my TF in the future and I wanted to look at something in the gerber or in the git hub? I'm SOL!

Bulletdust

Posted Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:38 pm

Personally, I think making his devices 'open source' was more than a little confusing.

I know I always thought (perhaps assumed), that if something was classed as open source and schematics/code were freely provided on Github that anyone was free to fab their own PCB, source the components, burn the necessary ROMS and make their own.

I thought that was actually the whole idea of the TF line of accelerators.

McTrinsic

Posted Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:23 am

As far as I understood it, that’s indeed the case.

The point for the TF guy was _when_ to open source stuff.

He would design a new accelerator and make some money providing PCBs or fully assembled boards for a few months. Only after a time determined by himself - maybe depending on the money he made - he would release all the items to public.

He seems quite determined to achieve something, at the costs of valuable interaction sometimes. He quit participating on A1k.org international section due to unwillingness to comply with some basic rules.

Return to “Hardware”