intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:20 pm

For the 2020 Amiga Art Contest I've submitted 2 pieces that I drew in Deluxe Paint 3 this summer/fall on one of my A3Ks outfitted with a 1942 monitor.

Since I don't know if they will be reviewed with CRT scanlines later, I took photos of my screen. I painted this with the scanlines in mind as they are important to the final product when viewed by others, in my opinion - not just a straight output of the IFF file on a modern monitor. But I also recognize that's not always an easy thing to do, so I created these photos using a special app on my phone that makes photographing a CRT a bit easier.

The colors aren't 100% perfect, but it's close enough.

Submission 1: TERMINATOR
Deluxe Paint 3
NTSC 320x200, stretched to fill the CRT's 4:3 screen
32 colors
Aug-Oct, 2020

Submission 2: TRON
Deluxe Paint 3
NTSC 320x200, stretched to fill the CRT's 4:3 screen
16 colors
Aug-Oct, 2020
IMG_9907.JPG
IMG_9905.jpg
IMG_9908.JPG

IMG_9913.jpg
IMG_9914.JPG

The TRON painting is one I did a video for, as when I first showed it to some folks they wanted to know how I did parts of it. I learned a lot during the making of that painting and was happy to share some of my techniques.

In any case, it convinced me to push a bit further with the Terminator image. The eye in particular was a real puzzle for me to unpack. Plus, I'd never attempted metallic chrome in pixel art before. Just to give myself enough creative space, I upped my palette to twice what I'd used in the TRON image. I do like how it turned out. I hope these images put a smile on your face, too.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:25 pm

Nice pics. I love scanlines.

Are we supposed to be showing them before the competition ends? I have e done and one in the works.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:16 pm

Are we supposed to be showing them before the competition ends?
To my knowledge there are no rules about showing or not showing before they get put on Doug and Vicky's stream. I had done the TRON painting in March and even made a video about it. So it's not a secret or anything. The Terminator piece is new, though.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:18 pm

Actually, don't delay fxgogo. The submission deadline is today.

stevelord

Posted Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:21 am

This looks great, well done!

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:46 pm

Oh bloody hell, I totally messed it up. I got confused with another deadline for Blender on the 19th. That is so infuriating. Oh well. Next year it is then.

invent
Australia

Posted Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:52 am

Awesome work, currently watching the stream live and just saw you design, excellent work. https://youtu.be/rR7PE1uFfiI

Mixel

Posted Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:34 am

Absolutely love the terminator.. I wonder how they're going to cope if the number of submissions keeps rising? :lol:

It's really interesting/inspirational to see so many people being creative on the platform though!

ed: hmm, I'll do a thread of my entries too!

Return to “Software”