McTrinsic

Posted Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:03 am

It’s MUI3.8 .

http://aminet.net/util/libs/mui38usr.lha

Do you have any other option besides Floppies for transfer?

McTrinsic

Posted Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:11 am

... or do it all with an emulated Amiga in WinUAE.

jrobbins70

Posted Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:27 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:03 am
It’s MUI3.8 .

http://aminet.net/util/libs/mui38usr.lha

Do you have any other option besides Floppies for transfer?
I do not. I have a real Amiga with a gotek and it only supports 880k floppies. I cannot move a 1mb file to my amiga.

Could someone split this mui38usr.lha file up for me? Does LHA even support file splitting?

It would be nice to use REMUS.

J

McTrinsic

Posted Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:47 am

Which unpackers do you have available on the Amiga?
The MUI Archive is a bit nasty as it creates a 0 Byte file.

May I again recommend that you set up a virtual Amiga via WinUAE?

That way you have much easier options to test the resulting rom files.

On a side note - if your Amiga has a Picasso II shouldn’t it also have some mass storage solution such as IDE or SCSI that would facilitate a file exchange?

jrobbins70

Posted Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:54 am

McTrinsic wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:47 am
Which unpackers do you have available on the Amiga?
The MUI Archive is a bit nasty as it creates a 0 Byte file.

May I again recommend that you set up a virtual Amiga via WinUAE?

That way you have much easier options to test the resulting rom files.

On a side note - if your Amiga has a Picasso II shouldn’t it also have some mass storage solution such as IDE or SCSI that would facilitate a file exchange?
I do have a SCSI2SD card set up and a real hard disk, dat drive etc on my real Amiga 3000. Aside from the Gotek, how could I transfer files back and forth? I'm not using an emulator at the moment.

I can find and install any unpacker you recommend since they always fit on a Gotek image.

Thanks for your help.

J

McTrinsic

Posted Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:00 pm

With an SCSI2SD you can most easily use an emulator.

Set up WinUAE and use the config that you actually have. All you need is the respective KickROM and the ROM for the Picasso.

As a hard drive, you can connect the SCSI2SD via USB. Just make sure to use the complete device. Don’t format under Windows!!!

With that, you quickly have a digital twin of your machine.

It may require a bit of work but will quickly pay off.

I am still not sure which packer to use for this task. The MUI38.lha needs to stay intact as otherwise it would lose a critical file. It should be possible to use zip files.

So what you could try is to create on Windows a splitted zip file with e.g. 600 kB max per file. Add them to empty ADF files with e.g. ADF Opus.

http://adfopus.sourceforge.net/

You can unzip files on the Amiga with e.g.

http://aminet.net/package/util/arc/unzip-bin

Cheers,
McT

jrobbins70

Posted Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:39 pm

Thanks for your help. I'll try to split the lha files out into two ADFs first using ADF Opus as you suggest. I can reassemble back on my amiga and install from there.

J

jrobbins70

Posted Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:25 pm

So I took the expert advice, created 3 ADF files with ADF Opus and had to recreate that mysterious 'space file name' file with no content... and MUI installed!

However when I run REMUS I get an error "Cannot open main window".

But then I realized that my resolution was too low. Once that was fixed, voila, REMUS works.

So now to play with REMUS. Do I load in my KS 3.1.4 roms and then replace libraries?

J

jrobbins70

Posted Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:41 pm

Ok, so I have the apps REMUS and ROMSPLIT working. I was able to read my own kickstart rom, replace the intuition.library with the version I like, and recompile my kickstart rom to a file that's 512k. All good.

Here's my problem. Obviously I want to burn physical roms so I need to generate high/low roms. In REMUS there are image type selections: "normal" (512k one file), "split (2x 16 bit)" and "split and swapped".

The last two options create a hi and lo file, but they are 256k each and don't look anything like my original split roms from Hyperion (which are 512k each).

So how can I make my custom kickstart file into hi and low? And do I use REMUS for this?

Thank you.

J

McTrinsic

Posted Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:39 am

How big is the unaltered KickROM from your machine?

512kb in 2x 256 sounds right. 2x 512 sounds... unusual.

Return to “Hardware”