jrobbins70

Posted Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:21 am

McTrinsic wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:39 am
How big is the unaltered KickROM from your machine?

512kb in 2x 256 sounds right. 2x 512 sounds... unusual.
The official download from Hyperion has the unaltered unsplit kickstart at 512Kb. The split hi and lo files are also 512Kb. I looked at the split files and they seem to contain the same 256Kb file twice.

I tried this: used romsplit to copy my rom, built a project in REMUS in the same order from those exact files and then compiled a 512k KS rom file. Then tried loading the file back into romsplit and it told me the rom file was bad.

So I'm assuming that I'm doing something wrong in REMUS. Aside from exec having to be first, is there some sort of magic I'm missing in the REMUS project for a KS compile?

J

McTrinsic

Posted Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:20 am

Unfortunately this is beyond me. I have only ever used ROM files for Amiga 500/2000.

jrobbins70

Posted Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:50 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:20 am
Unfortunately this is beyond me. I have only ever used ROM files for Amiga 500/2000.
It's beyond us both! :> Thank you for helping though. I was pointed in the right direction and enjoy the challenge of finding the fix!

J

McTrinsic

Posted Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:50 pm

It sounds like you could follow this guide.

Be careful about the steps regarding a „3.9“ ROM. On that page, a 1MB ROM is created. You don’t need that.

Might be able to skip to the part where he splits etc.

jrobbins70

Posted Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:59 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:50 pm
It sounds like you could follow this guide.

Be careful about the steps regarding a „3.9“ ROM. On that page, a 1MB ROM is created. You don’t need that.

Might be able to skip to the part where he splits etc.
Thanks for this link.

I managed to create my KS rom with the new intuition library!

Here's how I did it:

1. I ripped my own rom using the remus 'romsplit' program which reads all libraries from the KS roms on the motherboard.

2. I added all of those ripped libraries into a new project in REMUS in the EXACT order they were ripped out.

3. I replaced the intuition.library from the rom with the one I wanted to use.

4. I used the 'compile' feature to create a new rom but with setting "split and swap" which creates HI and LO 256Kb rom files.

5. I LHA'ed it up to a file and copied it to my Gotek USB drive.

6. Read the USB stick on my PC using ADF Opus. ADF Opus opened the gotek floppy file I had copied the HI and LO files to.

7. I doubled the rom sizes by typing in DOS: "type hi.rom >>hi_final.rom" (twice) and "type lo.rom >>lo_final.rom" (twice) which adds the original file to the new file making new files that are 512Kb. Not sure why this was needed but that was the magical part.

8. Used my eprom burner to burn the 512Kb HI and LO rom files to their respective EPROM. MX27C4100DC-12 EPROMS btw.

9. Placed the hi and lo roms into sockets U180 and U181 on the Amiga 3000 motherboard.

Et voila, KS roms with the new intuition library 45 which allows you to drag windows off of the screen.

J

McTrinsic

Posted Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:14 pm

Awesome, congratulations!

And kudos for doing it on an Amiga 👍🙂

Return to “Hardware”