rzazar
Northern Virginia

Posted Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:30 am

Hi All,
I'm new to Amiga 1000, just bought an Amiga 1000 in an excellent condition with 215K Ram Expansion. I'm just wondering is there any new Accelerator + Ram Expansion with IDE support that can eliminate using kickstart floppy disk for A1000 and install WB 3.1.4 or OS 3.9 on CF also able to use WHDLoad? I don't want to modify the original state of Motherboard or daughter board with soldering or cutting traces.

Thank you in advance for your help.

nonarkitten

Posted Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:48 pm

The Vampire would tick all those boxes quite nicely.

(Edit 1) You would have a 84MHz "68080", 128MB of RAM, IDE and SDNet (I wouldn't bother using the SD for anything else). The only down side is the waiting period since they're not making them fast enough. That being said, I have two now...

Although, when you get it, re-flash it with your own Kickstart and don't use their pirated core. I know there's not really much difference, but I do think there's a principle there.

(Edit 2) Side note -- the one big limitation of the Amiga 1000 is the lack of chip RAM. The nice thing about the Vampire is the bonus RTG (setting aside the improvement of HDMI over analog), leaving most of the 512KB available for other stuff.

rzazar
Northern Virginia

Posted Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:03 pm

Thank you for your reply. I already express interest for Vampire Amiga 1200 for a long time and still waiting. I'm looking for a cheaper solution to just enjoy my A1000 with basic stuff like WB and some WHDLoad.

nonarkitten

Posted Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:23 pm

rzazar wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:03 pm
Thank you for your reply. I already express interest for Vampire Amiga 1200 for a long time and still waiting. I'm looking for a cheaper solution to just enjoy my A1000 with basic stuff like WB and some WHDLoad.
I would say the next best thing is the Classic 520; although I see it's out of stock at the moment as well. You get a 28MHz 68EC020, 8MB of fast RAM, an SD and CF slot as well as an IDE header with a flash ROM to put AmigaOS onto. AmigaStore.eu will even pre-flash 3.1 or 3.1.4 for you, if you like. My only complaint is that it would live outside the case ... now if only someone would make a 64-DIP to Zorro reverse adapter.

rzazar
Northern Virginia

Posted Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:37 pm

I saw this nice piece of hardware couple days ago on Amigastore but unfortunately it is out of stock. I will keep checking and hope it will be back in stock soon.
Thank you for your time and help.

jrobbins70

Posted Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:58 pm

Definitely the 'classic 520' is what you need. I'm waiting for one too. It's a fast 020 with modern connections like SD and compact flash, can use modern or classic kickstarts, IDE connector, 8 MB fast ram, plugs in the expansion bus on the side. It's fast but won't take away from your a1000 experience.

10 Minute Classic Amiga Retro Cast youtuber has a good video on it.

J

mscdex

Posted Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:44 pm

+1 for the Classic 520, especially because it's the only (modern) upgrade board (that I've found) advertised to be fully compatible with the A1000 (something I've read is not necessarily the case with the Vampire hardware).

I'd also say that the fact that it's so easily removable is an upside rather than a downside because it makes it incredibly easy to revert to a stock system (even though you do also have the option to disable every feature on the board via software during boot).

Return to “Hardware”