intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:55 pm

A few weeks ago I lucked into an impossibly hard to find copy of Infocom's classic sci-fi political thriller A Mind Forever Voyaging in excellent complete condition.

This game - for the Amiga - is hard to find in the two most common ways. The primary path for many, of course, is to browse the various ADF hosting sites across the globe. This particular game is nowhere to be found on the Amiga side of things - not in the usual spots, at least. The second path would be original physical media. And as I explained in a previous post, the scarcity of AMFV on actual Amiga media is exceedingly hard to find. You may find a DOS version somewhere, but an Amiga one? It ain't easy (I've never found one, fwiw). UPDATE: Not only did I find a boxed copy, but I eventually snagged a never-opened still-in-the-shrinkwrap copy in the summer of 2019 while I was vacationing overseas.

As a result, and in the pure interest of historical preservation, I created an Amiga ADF of my original disk and offer it here for those that are interested. I do not offer this file with any expectation for profit, nor do I believe that the owners would be losing any money on a platform that frankly died two decades ago. Those of us that enjoy the Amiga today do it out of love for the machine and its software - not for financial gain.

Download the ADF here.

I plan on also updating the paltry Game page for this title soon with a much more in-depth review, and also finding a more permanent place for this file (and others like it) here on AmigaLove.com. In other words, there will be more - and they won't live in posts like this. They'll likely be in a dedicated location on the Games Pages themselves.

If you decide to play from this ADF (which I've compressed into an RAR archive), you will need to use the decoder wheel table found here or somewhere else to get past the old-school disk protection.

I won't be surprised if I start to see this file bubble up on other sites over time, but I think that's OK. The more this game can be enjoyed on the decades-old but still kicking Amiga, the better.

Have fun!
Attachments
AMFV.jpg
AMFV box cover, Amiga

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:38 am

I've contacted TOSEC and they have expressed interest in the file. I submitted the file for their approval.

I'll be sorting this out soon, I think, but still plan on making it available here (and others) going forward. Some of these other historical preservation efforts are challenging to locate and use, let alone understand, IMO. The more the merrier, as a friend on EAB recently stated.

troupe86

Posted Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:37 am

Hi,

I'm an owner of this game but I unfortunately can't play it due to faulty floppy drives. I downloaded the ADF file on this site but it refuses to load on both physical and emulated hardware. Is there a fault with the file by any chance? It won't load on ANY configuration of Amiga unfortunately.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:13 am

Hey troupe86

I don't normally go this route, but since I need to start work in 15 minutes I went the quick and dirty way. I copied my ADF from here and put it on a nub flash drive. I popped that in my external GoTek on an A3000 (drive 2, df1:) and turned on the machine.
IMG_0906.jpg
IMG_0908.JPG
IMG_0909.JPG
IMG_0911.JPG

I was able to get it to mount and run it directly with no issues. The AMFV book icon is its launcher icon. Are you running OS 1.3? Might not matter but it might. I'll try it in OS 2.0 later this morning, too.

If your floppy drive is on the way out, perhaps that's why you can't get the ADF to work? How are you moving the ADF to an actual disk?

Weird that you couldn't get it to run in emulation, too. I can try it in my old copy of Amiga Forever later this morning. But on my Amiga it's fine.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:58 am

Update: I also was able to load it up in OS 2.0 with no issues. I didn't expect there would be any, but I wanted to eliminate that variable since we don't know all the ins and outs of your system.
IMG_0912.JPG
I didn't bother to readjust my screen for this test, obvs.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:43 pm

One more update on the AMFV ADF up above. I was able to launch it using my WinXP box running Amiga Forever, too. You have to launch Workbench first before mounting the disk, though (just like on classic hardware).
IMG_0915.jpg
IMG_0916.jpg

So I think what we need to do is actually try and figure out what's going on with your setup. ADF checks out.

troupe86

Posted Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:25 pm

Hey!

Thanks for the replies! I've been trying to get it running via emulation all evening here, and I finally worked it out before checking this thread. I think I will have to run Workbench 1.3 on my A1200 before mounting the disk for AMFV afterwards. I'll try it when I get home and hopefully it will work. I'll definitely let you know.

Thanks again.

troupe86

Posted Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:45 am

OK, so I got home late from work last night and I really went at my Amiga to get the game running.

I still couldn't get the AMFV file running on real hardware via Gotek, as it kept coming up as 'DF0:NDOS' on Workbench. I got it working on emulation but not my A1200.

Then I decided to reconnect my physical disk drive which usually didn't read disks very well, and... My actual physical copy worked!

Thank you for your assistance, although I need to work out why it's not working in my A1200 when using my Gotek (using Flash Floppy). At least I can play my physical disk over Christmas now. 😁

Return to “Games”