intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:58 pm

Today, as I was scrolling past all of the horrendous news of the week in D.C., I got a few pages down on the front page of the NY Times and came across an article with a photo that took me off guard due to its total incongruity in regards to current events:

The Impractical but Indisputable Rise of Retrocomputing
nytimes-c64.jpg
Doesn't that look like a really young Michael J Fox in his best Alex P Keaton attire? And how 'bout that carpet?

It goes on to talk about the recent enormous growth of our beloved hobby as well as the prices of old computers and hardware on sites like Ebay. It features the C64 and Amiga 500 among a few other systems.

There are even quotes from some of our online friends (and site members) including Huxley, MsMadLemon and LGR.

Fun read during dark times! Sometimes, while we've been doing our best just to digest what's been going on, I do need the occasional mental break. Like this one.

Have a nice weekend, everyone.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:24 am

Great article. I must say, the cost will eventually price me out of getting new hardware. Luckily, I have what I want already, but if they eventually die, I guess it will be fpga for me.

Return to “The Lounge”