rzazar
Northern Virginia

Posted Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:38 pm

I'm tried to connect an external zip 100 drive to my A4000D with A2090a with no success, does anyone know how can accomplish this?
I am experiencing the same issue with A2091

Please see attached pictures, I did edit ZIP from DEVS/DOSDrivers and also change the configuration for IOTools.

Sysinfo only shows CF card and IDE CD-Rom. Termination is on the back of Zip Drive.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:18 pm

Oooh a white/beige external SCSI Zip. Jealous.

OK, your SCSI cable should be plugged into the ZIP port, not the SCSI labelled port. The Zip port cable leads to the computer. The SCSI side is for daisy chaining more drives.

rzazar
Northern Virginia

Posted Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:44 pm

It looks so good with my A400D almost the same color as the front panel :mrgreen:

I changed the cable same issue! any suggestion?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:47 pm

Are you using a scsi.device driver of some sort? Like, I assume looking at your screens you are running 3.1 (or higher?) so are you using something to get a scsi.device driver; do the original disks from your scsi boards provide something on their install disks?

Yeah, looking at your screens a 2nd time I have a feeling you need a scsi.device/driver. Looks like the 2091 would provide scsi.amhd. Not sure about the 2090a but it probably has something on it's installation disk as well.

Crispy
Sunhillow

Posted Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:16 pm

I just saw this while looking at the card specs on the Amiga Hardware Database site.

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/a2090

"on Zorro III machines the card only works if the driver and all the buffers are loaded into chip RAM"

I wonder if this is the cause of your trouble.

rzazar
Northern Virginia

Posted Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:26 am

Thank you for your replies. I'm going to give it a try for A2090A-Miniscribe8425.dms

rzazar
Northern Virginia

Posted Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:28 am

Crispy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:16 pm

"on Zorro III machines the card only works if the driver and all the buffers are loaded into chip RAM"

I wonder if this is the cause of your trouble.
any idea how can I do this?
I did add this to the startup-sequence around BindDrivers to look like this:

run >nil: SYS:System/NoFastMem
binddrivers >nil:
run >nil: SYS:System/NoFastMem

McTrinsic

Posted Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:35 pm

In one of your screenshots, the dosdrivers file for the zip refers to hddisk.device.

Should actually by scsi.device.

BTW: 2090.amhd is for A-Max hard disk. A driver for use within A-Max.

rzazar
Northern Virginia

Posted Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:46 pm

Thank you all for your reply and help. I just wanted to post an update on my little project. I gave up using A2090a or A2091. I was lucky to purchase DKB 4091 SCSI II Controller at a reasonable price!

This controller worked out of the box on my A4000D. I configured ZIP and PZ0C in Devs/Dosdrivers and now I'm able to access my ZIP drive and also able to read/write on FAT16 formatted Zip disk. It's very useful to transfer files from my computer with a USB ZIP drive to Amiga.

My A4000D Configuration:

* 68040 at 25 MHz
* 12MB onboard Fast RAM
* 256 MB BigRamPlus Zorro-III
* ELBOX FastATA 4000 MK-VII CF/SATA Zorro III
* IDE Pioneer CD-ROM Drive
* 32MB CF Card as IDE HDD
* Zip 100 External SCSI Drive
* External SCSI NEC CD-ROM Drive
* DKB 4091SCSI II Controller (Zorro-III DMA Fast SCSI-II - only works with a revision 11 Buster)

ELBOX FastATA 4000 MK-VII shows as 2nd.scsi.device
DKB 4091: scsi.device

I used FormatZIP from Aminet to format ZIP disks in FAT16. here is the link: https://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/FormatZIP

Here is the drive speed which seems very slow, Any suggestion to improve the speed of ZIP Drive, or this is the max I can get:

I'm going to use my ACARD AEC-7730 with SATA SSD with the DKB 4091 and I will create a new post to explain the process and speed benchmarks.

Return to “Hardware”