intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:37 am

Man, you are fast. Your work looks top notch, too. Dunklee could probably use your help! ;)

obitus1990
USA

Posted Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:46 pm

It works very well.

Problems I encountered:

1. The provided Kickwork disk wouldn't boot the computer. I am guessing it is because I have physical Kickstarts installed via EzdineG's kickstart switcher, versus relying on it to loaded from disk. I could be wrong, and, maybe I have a bum disk.

2. I couldn't get it to work with 3.1. That's on me though. The 3.1 stock WB floppy disk is completely full, preventing me from adding any files to it. I am not sure what is absolutely needed for the system to work, and, even after I copied all the files I thought I would need to a blank floppy ( all files in the Libs, devs, S, C, L, system directories), I still didn't have a working 3.1 WB disk, so, I gave up, for now. The 1.3 WB disk had enough room for the sd.device and fat95 files that are required to mount the SD card, so I reluctantly opened up the machine and manually switched the jumpers on the kickstart switcher back to 1.3. Maybe the 1000 is best experienced as original with 1.3 anyway.

Once I edited the startup-sequence to make everything load from the Parciero after it is mounted at boot up, it greatly shortens the long floppy boot time, so I am happy. Plenty of RAM. It's a shame there's no way to get 1 meg of chip out of the 1000 without a Rejuvenator, because it would certainly replace my A500 as my frequently used OCS/ECS machine.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:14 pm

1. The provided Kickwork disk wouldn't boot the computer. I am guessing it is because I have physical Kickstarts installed via EzdineG's kickstart switcher, versus relying on it to loaded from disk. I could be wrong, and, maybe I have a bum disk.
Correct. KickWork is only necessary if you have a stock A1K with no KS ROM. I don't use the KickWork disk. I created a custom Workbench boot disk that hands control over to the parceiro, where a complete copy of Workbench/Extras is copied.

My WB boot disk is very barebones. It's really more of a handshake to the microSD, where everything lives.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:14 pm

If you would like a copy of my personal WB boot disk, let me know. I had a lot of experience making these when I worked through the StarDrive/Zip 100 puzzle.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:18 pm

That would be great. I'll send you a PM.

A1-X1000
Toronto, Canada

Posted Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:19 pm

got message from David that my SN 3 is ready to be shipped over the border to my mancave <3 :D

Alynna

Posted Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:45 pm

I am interested in this, however I also have a Vampire v2 in my A1000.

Do you think it will work with it?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:12 pm

@Alynna

I'm not sure. You could email David Dunklee to ask him, but honestly I'm not entirely sure why you'd want to use both simultaneously. The Vampire takes your machine in a very different direction. The Parceiro allows it to be more like it was in 1986, but with modern tech stability and advancements (like a 2gb drive).

The only thing you would gain at this point is the RTC, which... I think I'd just source an old, original RTC at that point like the MouseTime or A-Time. Your Vamp is filled with RAM and storage as it is.

Overmann

Posted Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:00 am

That thing is absolutely lovely and I would love to have one, but the asking price seems a bit crazy to me. At least $100 more then I would expect to pay for such a device. I paid a total of EUR 80 shipped for my internal IDE/RAM/kickstart/relocator. While it took some soldering of wires it was a very easy job to install it. No destructive modifications. I would prefer a sidecar, but not almost-three-times-as-expensive prefer. :/

I do appreciate the work though. What a time to be alive (as an Amiga enthusiast) :)

obitus1990
USA

Posted Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:18 am

Having seen the actual BOM and the shared cart from Mouser, I can tell you that the parts alone, not counting shipping, the 3D printed enclosure (nicely made one too, SLA instead of FDM), the PCB or the SD card, cost $60. The SRAM used as the FAST RAM costs $30 (and it is a new, not NOS, part still being made).

Return to “Hardware”