intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:01 am

I woke up this morning and saw an email stating I'd placed in the top-3 for the pixel art category in the 2020 Amiga Ireland Creative Competition.

I was sitting next to my wife and declared involuntarily, "What!?" She asked me what was the matter while swiping her phone to check her morning Instagram feed.

"I got in the top three for an art contest."
"For what?"
"An art contest."
She softly chuckled. "What are you talking about?"
"Remember that image I worked on all those nights I showed you?"
She couldn't, so I dug up the photos I sent along with the original IFF.

"Oh yeah, that's cool. I remember that."

I clicked the link in the email to discover I'd won 1st place! I couldn't believe it! It's the first time I've ever won, let alone placed, in an art contest that I can remember.

I only just realized while looking at it again with her that in the photos I'd sent, I bone-headedly forgot about my mouse cursor and left it smack dab right in the middle of the image! Oh well. Looks like they might have only viewed the IFF file anyway (sans scan lines) if the downloadable files is any indication.

I call the piece:
Heavy Metal Amiga

IMG_1188.JPG
I started the project in early December and worked on it across 3 weeks. I began on my Amiga 3000, and transferred the file to my Amiga 1000 to finish it. When I got my A1K equipped with a Parceiro, I wanted to work on that machine at the time.

IMG_1189.JPG
I used a very old grid technique to copy the robot from a 1980 Heavy Metal magazine's cover art pained by the legendary Japanese artist Hajime Sorayama. I used the same technique for the Heavy Metal logo. I went with the REALLY old, original red Amiga logo at the end as it's the most 80's-ish and kinda faux-sci-fi, too.

IMG_1190.JPG
During this project I FINALLY learned how to remove the dang UI chrome and painting tools so I can see the whole image unobstructed. In the past I had to use the cursor keys to tap around. Progress!

Image Stats:

NTSC 320x200
16 colors
Deluxe Paint III in OS 1.3
21KB

obitus1990
USA

Posted Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:33 pm

Really nice artwork! Congrats on the win.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:03 pm

Love it. So familiar yet fresh and new. Did you happen to record some snapshots of your progress? That would be cool to see.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:26 pm

Did you happen to record some snapshots of your progress?
Not like I used to. I just kept saving on top of the same files for the most part. I have a few early ones but not broken in stages down like I did with Tron.

Dynamic_Computing

Posted Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:52 pm

Congrats on the Win, Eric! That is awesome! Poor me ended up in 5th place this year...

frootloop69

Posted Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:25 am

Whoa! Congrats on a well deserved win!!

primitivefunction

Posted Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:40 am

A belated congrats, and a superb piece of art! <3

Return to “The Lounge”