McTrinsic

Posted Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:15 am

Beska wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:33 am
Not compatible with KS 1.3. Thats a bit of a problem.
I am less than convinced. What they are saying basically is that this board is a A1200 clone. The A1200 shipped with 3.0 and higher (afaik). So you can’t literally use physical 1.3 ROMs.

You could potentially downgrade via MapROM or similar. Or burn a custom 1.3 ROM.

You could try to run an A1200 with a Kick 1.3. Easiest is WinUAE. An 68030 accelerator works without any modification under KS1.3 if e.g. used in an A500.

The custom chips should be backwards compatible.
You don‘t get full 68000 compatibility, though. Don’t know where this would be needed either.

dalek
Australia

Posted Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:24 pm

I don't know about this. It actually looks to me like an A500/1000 base with Matze's 68ec020TK https://gitlab.com/MHeinrichs/68EC020-TK integrated onboard (and probably his scandoubler but I can't quite tell).

I feel like most people who already have an A1000 would want to keep the original board these days, but I could be wrong! It's not like they are easily capacitor damaged or battery wrecked so it's hard to see how there would be many failed original A1000 boards.

Yeah it's cool but I think there will be limited appeal.

halfbrite

Posted Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:10 pm

Thanks for the links.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:16 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:15 am
Beska wrote:
I am less than convinced. What they are saying basically is that this board is a A1200 clone. The A1200 shipped with 3.0 and higher (afaik). So you can’t literally use physical 1.3 ROMs.

You could potentially downgrade via MapROM or similar. Or burn a custom 1.3 ROM.

You could try to run an A1200 with a Kick 1.3. Easiest is WinUAE. An 68030 accelerator works without any modification under KS1.3 if e.g. used in an A500.

The custom chips should be backwards compatible.
You don‘t get full 68000 compatibility, though. Don’t know where this would be needed either.
This uses a single KS ROM, like the 500, 600, and 2000 variants, but the 1200 uses two ROMs, hi-word and lo-word. It also uses an Agnus, instead of the Alice of the AGA machines. It also lacks LISA, so no AGA graphics.
I don't think I'd consider it an A1200 clone, as a result. It can use 1200 accelerators and has an A1200 clock port, but, both those feats can be accomplished on a bog standard A500 if one uses and ACA500.
I think I'd consider it more to be closer to a downgraded A3000, based on features it has (020 vs 030, scan-doubler on board, but stripped of SCSI and replaced with IDE, and lacking the expansion slots provided by the daughter board).

A cool project, nonetheless, but, just not for me, as I am not going to pull my fully working A1000 board set out of its case for this (which the creators say isn't the purpose anyway). If it were 1990 and this was being offered to me as an A1000 owner back then, I'd be all over it, though.

jdryyz

Posted Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:12 pm

Yeah, it seems weird that there wouldn't be a way to accommodate for this with modern hardware. Especially, since it is a replacement A1000 board which is associated more with the older Kickstart.

Beska wrote:

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:27 pm

Hey all, I contacted the folks in charge of this interesting hardware project. I didn't write them to complain, or do the "whatabout" stuff we see so often when folks are working hard to accomplish their own dreams, not the rest of the world's.

However, I did ask if it could be technically possible to run 1.3 on this board if a custom kickstart was created. I wasn't trying to derail the roadmap or anything like that. But, from an engineering standpoint of "is it possible, even if it isn't popular" for someone to potentially hack it "backwards" so to speak, and potentially insert SCSI.device into the environment. Thus, potentially creating (in my mind) a Phoenix 2.0 that takes advantage of so many advancements but can stay true to the original Amiga's identity IF someone wanted to.

I heard back:
Hello Eric.
Hi, my name is Carlos Del Alamo and I am the person in charge of managing and organizing this project.

I'm going to send your proposal to the engineer. Miguel Fides.
I would also like it to support the ks1.3

I'll keep you informed

Carlos
Never hurts to ask, right? You never know where it might lead.

jdryyz

Posted Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:36 pm

Thanks for doing that, Eric!

I know it is just easier to start with Kickstart 2.x and above with these types of hardware projects if you want bootable storage. We had those integrated scsi devices also back in the KS 1.3 days so it would be nice to maintain that in modern hardware.

Beska

Posted Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:27 pm

Thanks Eric,

I can understand them saying 1.3 is not supported. Getting 1.3 running may require a bit of work in creating/burning a custom ROM and these guys probably don't want to deal with the hassle of support.

JoeUser
Dallas, TX

Posted Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:55 pm

Looks like the perfect solution for reviving a dead A1000 (with parts being so scarce and expensive these days). Plus, it's non-destructive to the case, so any future resto to OEM spec can still be performed if desired.

I sent an interest email, so hopefully will get some additional info to share (that hasn't already been discussed).

A10001986

Posted Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:30 am

There are dead A1000s?

Return to “Hardware”