halfbrite

Posted Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:07 pm

jdryyz wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:11 pm
Decided I needed to do something about the rust on the metal frame. It appeared to have spread while I was waiting for replacement key switches.

rusty.jpg

rust remove.jpg

new paint.jpg

keys restored.jpg

reassembled.jpg

All keys working fine now.
Wow looks great, seems they all get like this, the paint all crappy. How much work as it to desolder all the key switches?

halfbrite

Posted Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:10 pm

These things must be dust magnets, without a doubt this is the most disgusting keyboard I have ever cleaned, and I clean my daily one once a year and that gets pretty gross.
signal-2021-02-22-160923.jpeg
signal-2021-02-22-160928.jpeg

jdryyz

Posted Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:04 pm

It is somewhat tedious but it actually went faster than expected.

Yours looks pretty good! Not seeing any rust.

halfbrite

Posted Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:22 pm

Thanks. After cleaning, very light rust. Lots of hair though!

This is what I started with:
signal-2021-02-22-212515.jpeg
Case and space bar have yellowing. Lots of sharpie marks all over the keys, maybe a pc emulator was on this unit? I got most of the markings off but on they keyboard case, it yellowed around the writing!

I checked all the switch, 4 needed de-oxit and started to work again.

3 keys when put on would stick. On closer examination of the stem:
Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 9.18.32 PM.png
I noticed some keys stuck before I removed them so don't think it was me as I use a key puller straight up. I guess this was either me removing keys, or old age. The tolerance is so tight, the plastic pushes out and binds is my guess.

Any thought on fixing these? I can find new switches but I have to purchase 100 of them in bulk ;) Anyone interested in buying switches off of me if I go this route? Super glue the stem? trim the black plastic so the stem wont bind?

Is it worth trying to save the old dog?

dalek
Australia

Posted Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:42 pm

Maybe just super glue and switch it with another rarely used key like HELP ?

That being said, if new switches are available it sounds like a good idea to grab some before supplies run out.

My A1000 keyboard and spacebar are yellower than cheese :( but the normal keys have kept their original colour. They must have used a different plastics.

Hopefully one day someone will do a kickstarter for new A1000 keyboards!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:43 pm

These feel kinda pricey to me, but since you need 3 you can get that many @$12.60/ea here.

I remember being shown a site - I think maybe in Germany - that sold "brand new" switches that would work, but the shipping would be pretty terrifying these days I'm sure.

jdryyz

Posted Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:40 am

I tried repairing switches myself and it did not go well. Not worth the effort to me. If you can get them, I say replace the switches.

I personally have enough replacement switches to redo my whole keyboard at this point. I just need to set aside some time.
halfbrite wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:22 pm

Any thought on fixing these? I can find new switches but I have to purchase 100 of them in bulk ;) Anyone interested in buying switches off of me if I go this route? Super glue the stem? trim the black plastic so the stem wont bind?

Is it worth trying to save the old dog?

halfbrite

Posted Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:36 pm

Just purchased a bunch of mechs. Playing the waiting game for now ;)

halfbrite

Posted Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:37 am

Thought I would post some progress pictures and what I used to clean.

First I pulled all the keys with a key puller, I would argue to use this, not your fingers as the stems on these are probably weak at this point and will crack.

I then did the usual key and case bath with dish detergent scrubed it clean. I removed all the loose hair, dust and dirt with compressed air. I then used an old tooth brush to clean all around the keyswitches.

After the keys and case were all dry, I used paper towels and 99% alcohol to remove the pen markings that someone wrote over about 20 of the keys. I was careful to not rub the lettering from the factory, however it seems pretty rugged.

Next I hooked the keyboard to the Amiga 1000 launched notepad and tested all the key switches. The ones that did not respond I sprayed the magic juice, Deoxit and worked the key stems vigorously. Every key came back. A few that were gummy, I did the same as the Deoxit I used works as a lubricant too.

The few keys that would not clean up all the marker well I would use a Magic Eraser. This cleaned up about 99.99% of the marks now and I find acceptable. Keep in mind the Magic Eraser is a mild abrasive, so it will remove material, but I didn't notice on the keys and again I made sure to avoid the factory lettering.

After placing all the keys in a few still stuck down, and I determined this to be the key stems cracked, and pressing agains the black stem mount/holder. I used a jewelers flat head screw driver to break away a little bit of the corner that holds the stem in. The three others should hold the stem in fine, but this was careful slow work and did a little at a time, test, repeat and now I have zero sticking keys!
signal-2021-02-28-122216.png
My theory is the broken stem wall pushes out in the corner when the key cap is in and rubs against the black lip of the plastic and that in turn holds the key down when pressed.

I have started to use the magic eraser on the case, as I think someone mistakenly thought the keyboard had nicotine stains and tried to clean it with a harsh chemical that was damaging the plastic. I can clearly see liquid damage on the plastic and you can see it on the photo around the number pad keys. Since the case is smooth, the magic eraser has blended away the chalking stain that has occurred. The last week I have been sun bleaching the case and the space bar.
signal-2021-02-28-122047.jpeg
signal-2021-02-28-122045.jpeg
signal-2021-02-28-121900.jpeg
Not fully together and still a nice bit of yellow that will never go 100% away without retro-brighting. Once the sun is out more here and the weather is warmer I can sun bleach it some more.

Shows you what is possible when trying to save this old stuff!
signal-2021-02-28-124833.jpeg

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:24 pm

Just one more example where the Magic Eraser does seem good enough for me over retro-brighting. A little tinge never hurt anyone.

Great work.

Return to “Hardware”