JoeUser
Dallas, TX

Posted Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:30 pm

I finally got lucky and won an eBay auction for an A1000 keyboard to finally complete my machine. A couple of the keys are sticky, so I reckon I'd better crack it apart and see what's what. Thanks to all posters for sharing their experiences, it's invaluable!

I'm a little leery of discovering what lies hidden beneath the covers, so hopefully it's not a rat's nest of furry nastiness, lol...

One other thing regarding the upper cover: The checkmark logo is no longer colorful. Not really sure what's up with that, other than perhaps someone scraped the coloring off? I wonder if that logo was an applique', perhaps? Or, was it painted on? Anyone know off-hand?

halfbrite

Posted Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:10 am

Just a guess, but excessive cleaning?

There are some that have gone and repainted theirs, not 100% but considering there are no repro, thats the best you can get, or once in a while a keyboard case shows up on ebay.

halfbrite

Posted Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:17 am

Just an update on mine, I got about 100 key switches in the mail the other day, here is one bag :) I have about 4 more.

Also I think a mouse or something relieved themselves at one point on this keyboard, there is a slight ammonia smell I cant get rid of.

So I had cleaned everywhere thoroughly but between the metal and the PCB, which to get in there means desoldering all the key switches. I may or may not replace them all, so I may have some for sale later if folks are interested.
PXL_20210320_141532304.jpg

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:53 am

Can you put the keyboard in the dishwasher (no soap) to try and eliminate anything unwanted at this stage?

@halfbrite where did you order yours from?

halfbrite

Posted Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:41 am

intric8 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:53 am
Can you put the keyboard in the dishwasher (no soap) to try and eliminate anything unwanted at this stage?

I am thinking about it, when something is working 100% right now, I don't want to go ripping it apart :) Vinegar for sure would work to neutralize whatever is in there, but that is an acid and it needs to be removed 100% to prevent corrosion.

I ordered from DHGate. I have not inspected them close enough yet to make sure they are an exact match. I may get to it this weekend but have a few other projects ahead of me :)

There was maybe one other place I found these switches, but was more money. Around $1.50 each in bulk seems to be the best price. Since I posted this link here, I recommend anyone who wants to keep spares should grab them now as I suspect this will show up in a search engine. No clue how many this seller has in stock.

Disclaimer again, I have not tested these, so please do your own research if you buy them! :)

cbm4ever
Seattle

Posted Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:58 pm

halfbrite wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:41 am
intric8 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:53 am

I am thinking about it, when something is working 100% right now, I don't want to go ripping it apart :) Vinegar for sure would work to neutralize whatever is in there, but that is an acid and it needs to be removed 100% to prevent corrosion.

I ordered from DHGate. I have not inspected them close enough yet to make sure they are an exact match. I may get to it this weekend but have a few other projects ahead of me :)

There was maybe one other place I found these switches, but was more money. Around $1.50 each in bulk seems to be the best price. Since I posted this link here, I recommend anyone who wants to keep spares should grab them now as I suspect this will show up in a search engine. No clue how many this seller has in stock.

Disclaimer again, I have not tested these, so please do your own research if you buy them! :)
If you plan to sell some of those switches for an Amiga 1000 keyboard, I'd glad to buy like two or even five of them. I just got my first A1000, and one switch has the white part broken on one side, and another one is sticky (the spring was misplaced) and although i fixed it by placing the small spring in place, it wont last long as it is worn out. If so, PM me, thank you!

Return to “Hardware”