Shagittarius

Posted Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:40 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the BigRam 2630? I'm curious about compatibility, particularly with the A2091 and an 8Up! ram board.

Ideally I'd like to run all of that together so I can boot into a pure 68000 mode when desired and still have 8Mb or ram since the 2630 is deactivated when I disable the 68030 at boot.

Also, happy to be a new member of this community, thanks.

Kevin Brice
Seattle, WA
YouTube

Posted Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:49 am

I've got one that I'm using with a GVP HC+8, and it seems to work just fine with that. The BigRAM stays clear of the Zorro II memory space by default. I think your main obstacle to 8MB in 68000 mode is the memory soldered to the A2630. The documentation says that if you disable the A2630's memory, the BigRAM2630 no longer gets autoconfigured. And if you don't disable the A2630's memory, you'll have less than 8MB in 68000 mode. You can add the bigram tool to your startup-sequence to initialize it when the A2630's memory is disabled, but I haven't tested that.

Shagittarius

Posted Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:51 pm

I have some issues im trying to work out with the A2091 so I'm currently using a GVP HCII, however that board doesn't like my 8up! board and refuses to boot or recognize the HCII depending on its position in which slot I use. I might have to try a different ram board, get an accelerator combo board, or just give up on having the best of all worlds.

We will see, thanks for the reply.

Kevin Brice
Seattle, WA
YouTube

Posted Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:47 am

Any chance you’re exceeding 8MB of Zorro II memory between the cards?

JoeUser
Dallas, TX

Posted Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:27 am

Seems like this thread is cross-posted to this one?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1807

Shagittarius

Posted Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:57 pm

Im not trying to make this thread about my A2091, it was relevant to this discussion about my config. At any rate I have a Bigram on the way and I will see what happens.

And to answer the inquiry about my A2091 slowing down the system, it doesn't have anything to do with being over 8MB, the card slows down the amiga if its 2MB is the only ram in the system. I'm trying the guru roms soon to see if they make a difference.

Let's say no more about the A2091, though. =)

Kevin Brice
Seattle, WA
YouTube

Posted Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:33 pm

Oh, I wasn't talking about the A2091 - I was talking about your GVP and 8up! card :)

Shagittarius

Posted Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:02 pm

I've abandoned the Guru rom idea, I didn't realize you needed an adapter cause the roms dont fit into the same space, and the adapters cant be found or kits as far as I can tell.

Return to “Hardware”