Signman

Posted Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:57 am

This is a perplexing problem I have had since I acquired the 4000.

The specs: warp 040, cd-drive, 144 memory, ATX power supply, go-tek Amiga 1080 monitor.
Problem: After taking out of limbo on shelf it will not boot, no boot sound
to initialize boot sequence. Just hangs on black screen. Resets or powering down and turning
on again nothing. Eventually some attempt hours later always brings in back and then every time
after that there is no problem as if nothing ever was wrong. Now if I retire this for months or so and try again, same thing all over.

The board has been recapped. Chips perhaps or power supply issue?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:57 pm

Black screen are always baffling. I've seen this from bad chips before, bad CIAs for sure. But sometimes it's been from something as maddening as needing to reseat a chip that wasn't making a good contact anymore due to ancient corrosion you can't even see.

Beska

Posted Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:15 pm

I would try installing a DiagROM and see how far you get.

nadoom

Posted Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:18 pm

I had a similar issue.. but for me some times it would boot nicely. and then some times it wouldnt go past the reset of the screen ( just black as if CPU had not started)

I thought it was the CPU connector ( I have a A3640) but actually it turned out to be the ROM's or the sockets.. upon reseating the issue went away... very strange. but maybe its the same issue you are having. Diagrom worked fine everytime,

Kevin Brice
Seattle, WA
YouTube

Posted Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:09 am

What’s your boot drive? Any chance something hinky on the IDE bus is hanging things up? What’s the state of the power and hard disk lights?

Signman

Posted Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:50 am

Kevin Brice wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:09 am
What’s your boot drive? Any chance something hinky on the IDE bus is hanging things up? What’s the state of the power and hard disk lights?
I use an CF card but it doesn't matter. If no card and hold down both mouse buttons ,nothing.
I repeat though that this only happens when taken off shelf and hasn't been used in a while. Once it gives me boot sequence and "dong sound" everytime after that, even days after, it turns right on.

Power light always comes on even when the issue presents itself.

Kevin Brice
Seattle, WA
YouTube

Posted Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:57 am

Signman wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:50 am
Kevin Brice wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:09 am
I use an CF card but it doesn't matter. If no card and hold down both mouse buttons ,nothing.
I repeat though that this only happens when taken off shelf and hasn't been used in a while. Once it gives me boot sequence and "dong sound" everytime after that, even days after, it turns right on.

Power light always comes on even when the issue presents itself.
What “dong” sound? The A4000 doesn’t make a sound on boot. Also, having the CF card missing could also make it hang.

Kevin Brice
Seattle, WA
YouTube

Posted Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:59 am

Other thought is old caps needing time to recharge, but you said it was recapped. Any electrolytics on the accelerator card? If so, were they changed?

Signman

Posted Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:52 am

CPU card is an area that many seem to think be part of it.
Most assuredly there is beep tone just before booting. That sound happens and I know it will boot, floppy or otherwise.
Normally if no card in CF drive I will get the insert disk screen.

Kevin Brice
Seattle, WA
YouTube

Posted Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:33 pm

Signman wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:52 am
CPU card is an area that many seem to think be part of it.
Most assuredly there is beep tone just before booting. That sound happens and I know it will boot, floppy or otherwise.
Normally if no card in CF drive I will get the insert disk screen.
If it's beeping, one of your expansions is doing it, or you have software configured to do it. Stock A4000s don't beep.

Return to “Hardware”