3D-vice
Germany

Posted Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:00 am

... LOOK > I re-discovered my good old Atarix Lynx! :D
Atari_Lynx_01.jpg
It's a second generation Lynx, which had a waaay better battery consumption than it's first genreation predecessor.

Atari_Lynx_02.jpg
I am glad to tell that all of my games are still working. Theelectronics inside the "cartridges" are quite sensitive, because of their lack of protection of the pins.

This was in fact my very first handheld. I never had a GameBoy, since I wanted to have my mobile games in COLOR: ;) :joystick:

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:36 am

Very nice!! Incredible collection and condition. Nice assortment of games you have there, too.

Today I pre-ordered a new Analogue Pocket. It might ship next year, or even 2023. I have no idea. What's cool (to me) about this handheld is that it uses real OG Gameboy/Color/Advance cartridges.
Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 10.35.05 AM.png

Some very cool features:
  • Out of the box, Pocket is compatible with the 2,780+ Game Boy, Game Boy Color & Game Boy Advance game cartridge library.
  • Pocket is designed around a first-in-class 3.5”, 615 ppi, LCD. With a 1600x1440 resolution, Pocket has 10x the resolution of an original Game Boy.
  • Pocket has a digital audio workstation built in called Nanoloop. It's a synthesizer and a sequencer. Designed for music creation and live performance. (!?!?)
But beyond having a great screen it even has a dock so I can play it on a TV like a console. (I ordered one of those, too.)
Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 10.30.09 AM.png
But the reason your post inspired me to talk about it is because it will feature cartridge adapters for other handheld systems, including the Lynx! That way I can explore software titles from other systems on the same sucker. I'm looking forward to playing the original Chip's Challenge on this thing (whenever it arrives...).

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:39 am

Well that's a cool device. Never heard of it b4. I'll have a look into it.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:21 pm

I had a Lynx way back when but I think I gave it away after I got into the GameBoy Advance.

And hey Lynx is related to Amiga as some of the same people that worked on the Amiga worked on the Lynx.

I was very tempted to get the Pocket and Dock but I decided to hold off because I already have an assortment of GBA devices. I already own my original NDS lite and my original GBA SP Graphite. I also own a NOS modded Original GBA that has a backlit screen, custom case and buttons. Plus quite a few games I bought over the years with a few flash carts thrown in for good measure. ;) So I am not sure I should buy any more handhelds.

But Analogue is some serious stuff. I own the Super NT and the Mega SG and love them. Top notch quality on the level with Apple.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:02 pm

I'm looking to upgrade my Advance big time mainly because my screen (and I guess my eyes) is just so dim and worn out it's painful for me to try and play that thing anymore. I remember seeing it for the first time on display in Japan while traveling there. They were available in the US a couple of months after I returned. I instantly got a silver one and played the crap out of that thing. (Golden Sun 1 & 2 were my jam.)

I still have all of that stuff. But I can't honestly play it anymore - not comfortable.

This things screen will make me pull those carts out all over again for sure. And, probably make me expand my library. I had an original Game Boy BITD, and have never had a ton of desire to go back into that world. With this screen, though, and some of its filters? Damn tempting.

I'd get the Lynx adapter for - realistically - probably less than half a dozen games.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:38 pm

The reviews coming in for the analog pocket are very good. Price is a bit steep, but to be expected. I suspect it might trigger a clones market rush on the same idea.

Frobozz
USA

Posted Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:19 pm

Ok, that's pretty awesome! I didn't know there was an updated Lynx model, so even cooler :) . I've played Lynx games in emulators, but it just isn't the same. And kudos on the game selection -- Chip's Challenge and Road Blasters are two of my favorites.

The Analogue looks like a great portable, and I like the hackability, but I'm going to have to pass on it in favor of the Steam Deck. Desktop Arch Linux on a handheld? Yes, please :D !

BloodyCactus
Lexington VA

Posted Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:57 pm

nice! I have the same Lynx II as you, from when I was a kid, only a few cartridges tho, but dang does it EAT batteries lol!

Mine has a little nylon case it came with. Its so nicer than the Lynx I in my opinion. I'd love to find a copy of Raiden for the Lynx but it was getting expensive so I gave up lol!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:09 pm

Found out today that my Analogue order is in Group B, which means Q4 of 2022.

Just in time for next Xmas (hopefully)!

walldog

Posted Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:08 pm

Dude that is a cool Atari! I never played one of those. The wife and I like to play the PS Vita even though obsolete long ago.. We have a collection of Nintendo DS also the kids have kinda abandoned by now but I keep safe place

Return to “Non-Commodore Scenes”