rpiguy9907

Posted Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:32 pm

If you have a Cherry MX mechanical keyboard next week you can order an awesome set of PETSCII keycaps for it on Drop next week:

See here.

The green keys are probably part of a highlight kit that will cost extra.
EcnK95NTt24mscb6tqQv_MT3-Retro-pdp.jpg

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:59 pm

That's really cool. I wonder if there will be color choices or just the earth tones as presented?

obitus1990
USA

Posted Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:39 pm

Pretty cool. I've been waiting on Jim Drew's keycaps to finish my Mechboard build, but since those have yet to materialize, and these don't need any kind of adapter to use on Cherry type switches, maybe I'll grab a set of these instead.

rpiguy9907

Posted Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:31 pm

intric8 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:59 pm
That's really cool. I wonder if there will be color choices or just the earth tones as presented?
Won't know until next week. This keyset ran a couple of times before in different keycap profiles (DSA/Flat, and SA) many years ago and you had the option for all brown, which would at least be consistent with a breadbin C64.

The first couple of sets in 2013 even included the Commodore key, but I guess someone complained about the copyright because Signature Plastics wouldn't do it anymore.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:32 pm

@rpiguy9907 what is the base keyboard over on Drop those keys go on top of (and with a case/shell)?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:10 pm

My question answered, from AlexPk on Drop:
More details on kits and such will be uploaded in the next few days, but yes the colors will be brown alphas, red mods, and then the green hobbyist kit.

rpiguy9907

Posted Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:45 am

intric8 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:32 pm
@rpiguy9907 what is the base keyboard over on Drop those keys go on top of (and with a case/shell)?
The pictured keyboard is a Drop CTRL High Profile. You can find better compatible keyboards elsewhere.

For example you can get beige anodized aluminum here.

Or if you prefer a cheaper and more compact version.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:44 am

FWIW, the Drop CTRL low-profile dimensions seem like it might fit in the A1K garage. I don't know if these dimensions include the keycaps (I'm assuming 'yes'). If not, then for a low-profile keyboard it's actually quite tall.

14.5 x 5.5 x 1.4 in (36.8 x 14 x 3.6 cm)

The width and depth are totally fine. The only place where it gets a little iffy is the height. It's really close.

It would be super cool if NovelKeys made a low-profile version of the beige. I'm not a huge fan of exposed switches. I get why they do it, but it's not my thing.

(Of course I don't think I could ever actually use one of these modern keyboards with the A1K, nor do I have a need. I just find the size comparisons interesting.)

I'll probably get one to use for work with my new MBP M1 Max.

rpiguy9907

Posted Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:07 am

intric8 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:44 am
FWIW, the Drop CTRL low-profile dimensions seem like it might fit in the A1K garage. I don't know if these dimensions include the keycaps (I'm assuming 'yes'). If not, then for a low-profile keyboard it's actually quite tall.

14.5 x 5.5 x 1.4 in (36.8 x 14 x 3.6 cm)

I'll probably get one to use for work with my new MBP M1 Max.
Good news. The creator of the keycap set is lobbying Drop to add an all brown option, which we may get as an add-on kit later this year.

He also is releasing a C64 inspired keyboard that I will surely pick up:

https://matt3o.com/what-a-great-start-for-2022/

iljitsch

Posted Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:24 am

I ordered the not period correct colored one.

Now thinking about whether it's worth the effort to create a keymap that lets me type the PETSCII characters using the C64 truetype font.

The C64 font uses Unicode private use codes for the PETSCII characters so it doesn't depend on the characters being available in Unicode.

Although on the latest Unicode they are: Symbols for Legacy Computing. But those won't show on my Mac or iPhone.

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”