3D-vice
Germany

Posted Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:07 am

Hey guys,

I stumbled over this exciting news:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho_m-woNHUs
https://checkmate1500plus.com/Newsroom.aspx?id=401

Since I already own a black Checkmate 1500 case, I'll keep an eye out on those new screens.

What do you think about this approach?

McTrinsic

Posted Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:26 am

A video-only teaser is annoying. That’s what I think.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:17 am

I'm so married to RGB output it would take some getting used to switching over to component. Composite, in the difficult-to-see demo, seemed way too fuzzy for me to ever want to do that. But (again, hard to see) component sounded like it was a viable option.

I like the overall look of them and the options they provide. But... not sure I'd be in the market. But I like the concept of a brand new monitor working with our old machines that looks period correct. If you don't have an Amiga with HDMI (most people don't) this seems a good option for some.

I think I'd want a closer look at the video output. And I know this is me just being picky, but I'm not a big fan of "DIY"-looking ports, especially when on the front of the thing. If I'm getting one of these for aesthetics reasons, I wouldn't want it to look cheaply made. I realize these are demos. I'd likely wait and see.

Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 10.18.08 AM.png

I didn't go for the checkmate case, either.

That being said, if I was a MISTer guy (maybe some day) I think this would fit that bill really well + a small checkmate case. Could be a legit way to go.

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:31 am

McTrinsic wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:26 am
A video-only teaser is annoying. That’s what I think.
Well, I think the upcoming Kickstarter campaign should have a sufficient amount of detailed information (at least that's what I hope for).

BloodyCactus
Lexington VA

Posted Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:10 pm

a gbs converter and a 19" panel. :roll: the checkmate case wasnt for me, and I dont think this is either.

Hook
Ottawa, Canada

Posted Tue May 31, 2022 12:23 pm

The general idea is cool to cram a bunch of useful connectors and things in a mock CRT enclosure, but that GBS-8200 is a dealbreaker. Those things are mediocre at best, even with the GBS Control hack you can do with an Arduino module to replace the firmware.

RGB-to-HDMI with a Pi or Indivision is the way to go on an Amiga.

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:00 am

The Kickstarter Campaign is live:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ch ... escription

For those intending to back the campaign, pay attention to the description and the roadmap and follow-up costs to completing the display, since the campaign will have multiple "milestones".

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:46 am

T -3 days ...

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:48 am

I don't think they are going to make it.

Appee

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:43 am

I backed it today. Just 99ish more backers. I hope everyone is posting in their local groups with an explanation of what it is.

Return to “Modern Take”