acolic

Posted Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:25 pm

Hi

I am looking to move up from my A500 to an A2000 just because I want better gfx.

Really miss my old Amiga and 24bit GVP video card.

I may be able to get my hands on an A2000 and separately an Opalvision card.

I do not know a lot about this card.

What I really want is a beautiful 256 color high res workbench, and when I’m running standard video games, they appear in a separate window.

If I get this card, and if I have the latest workbench/Kickstarter chip will I get that?

Thanks

Alex

jdryyz

Posted Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:33 pm

Short answer is no.

The OpalVision card is not RTG. It is a framebuffer and genlock, similar to the more popular Video Toaster.

What you want is an RTG card. Unfortunately, the classic cards (Picasso II, IV, etc.) are now priced out of reach for most, and the new cards being made today are pretty high as well.

Here is an example of a card in production now.

acolic

Posted Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:12 am

Ok I understand.

If I found a Picasso or a GVP EGS card then I would get the high resolution, 256 color workbench?

But as you say, a quick scan of eBay indicates that finding one of these cards would be difficult.

Alex.

acolic

Posted Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:39 pm

Nice card but reading the instructions I would need a 68020 accelerator and for my A500 I would have to solder it to the expansion port.

Something I don’t have the skill set for.

McTrinsic

Posted Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:55 am

You will effectively always need a better CPU and some FastRAM.

The driver software package „Picasso96“, or, as it is called nowadays, simply „P96“, requires a 68020.

The good news: wit only a few expansions, quite a few A500 accelerators might work in an A2000. YMMV, though depending on if it physically fits.

Return to “Hardware”