luvwagn

Posted Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:23 pm

I have a PCMCIA to CF adapter, and here's what I've noticed.
1. If it has its included 512MB card installed, that is seen by the Amiga
2. If it has my former motherboard 16GB card installed, that is NOT seen by the Amiga 1200
3. Any attempts to add the card after boot, or remove the card after boot, freezes the Amiga 1200

I'm wanting to use my original OS disk (16GB card) as a shuttle between my PC (and WinUAE) and the A1200, without having to open the case all the time. Plus, I have a PiStorm32-Lite installed internally, which is now my main storage / OS environment.

I also have a Gayle fix board installed which is supposed to help the Reset line or something during soft boots?

Ideas? I'm wondering if:
a) 16GB isn't supported via PCMCIA for some reason
b) the CF-to-PCMCIA adapter I got is dodgy

iljitsch

Posted Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:41 am

Maybe this late reply will still be useful...

I've tried a good number of CF cards with an adapter to the PCMCIA port. Even one with (with yet another adapter) a 2 GB SD card. I'm reasonably sure the size is not the issue.

Do you want to mount the card as FFS formatted? I have achieved that once or twice, but it's supremely difficult.

What super easy, once you have the drivers installed, is FAT-formatted cards. So just dump stuff on that card with your PC or Mac, put it in the 1200, and you can access everything that's on the card. Works in the other direction, too.

What you need is CFD133 and fat95 from Aminet.

iljitsch

Posted Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:52 am

Actually I tried it just now and I get the same result: a 16 GB CF card just makes I/O hang. Things continue when I remove the card. Smaller CF cards are not a problem, and nor is a 16 GB SD card in the SD-to-CF adapter, and I can hot swap those (FAT formatted).

A1200

Posted Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:23 am

I find the larger those CF cards are the longer they take to mount. I usually use a 1GB CF card in the PCMCIA slot so they appear very quickly.

iljitsch

Posted Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:19 am

Hm, FAT-formatted I don't share that experience.

But it's so wild that the smallest card I have is a CF card that came with a camera 20+ years ago at 8 MB while the biggest is a more recent 64 GB SD card that also works through the additional SD-CF adapter...

I'm now working on a set of scripts and a small RAD disk that make it possible to set up the PCMCIA drivers for FAT CF cards such that the capability to mount FAT CF cards survives a reboot and booting from an arbitrary floppy or HDD partition.

Return to “Hardware”