Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Fri May 05, 2023 11:41 am

I second the recommendation for the ACA500+ it is an amazing device that speeds up the A500 pretty well on its own but can use A1200 accelerators too. I also like the built-in Action Replay, RAM, CF media cards/HD and ability to boot different kisckstart versions on the fly as well as easily switch between PAL and NTSC.

The only downside is that it is plugged into the expansion on the side. So if you are only interested in internal expansion, then it might not be ideal.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Sat May 06, 2023 2:53 pm

The ACA500+ would not really make sense for me as I already have a GVP hard drive with 8mb RAM. I probably should have gotten one with an accelerator, but wasn't thinking about that at the time. Looking to work with what I got, not replace things, though I suppose it would make a good case for the thing if I ever give up on SCSCI drives, but they don't seem to be giving up on me.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Sat May 06, 2023 5:21 pm

Ahh, that makes sense. Supra also made an accelerator that has a pass-through, the Supra Turbo 28. I have one in my original A2000 and it is interesting that it is the same form factor on either Amiga they just changed the connector out for the A2000 version and removed the case. It has a disable switch and can also be disabled in software. I know on the A2000 it made a decent speed boost. It runs a 68HC000 @ 28mhz.

I would think this would be an easy PCB for someone to give the recreation treatment. 68k cpus are easy to come by and the version on this card is one of the newer PLCC version. These CPUs were extremely popular in laser printers and other embedded device type scenarios.

Return to “Hardware”