sadmario

Posted Wed May 24, 2023 2:58 pm

Hi all,

I thought it might be worth starting a new thread, rather than continuing to hijack the A500 one/my intro post.).

I’ve just created an alternative STL option for the A1200 non-destructive Pi case mod, which means that an internal floppy drive can be added. The right-hand backplate remains unchanged, but the left-hand has the Pi a bit closer to the middle of the case, with the Pi itself is rotated 180 degrees from the original position to ensure everything fits OK.

A few different parts are required for the floppy drive option, including right-angled RCA connectors; I’ve also switched to a 90-degree flat HDMI-microHDMI cable as I managed to damage my original one :oops: .

I’m using a Panasonic JU-256 floppy drive, connected to a Greaseweazle v4 - this is mounted underneath the A1200 keyboard, next to the Tynemouth keyboard interface. I’ve designed an extension for the floppy drive button for the JU-256 as the original button doesn't work with the A1200 case; the front fascia of the floppy drive has been removed, and the top metal case also removed to ensure a good fit. I understand it’s possible to cut 8mm or so from the front edge of the top of the floppy drive case, but in theory, this is a non-destructive mod, so maybe that includes the floppy drive too? :D

Firing up the first game (Treasure Island Dizzy) using the internal floppy drive was a great feeling and everything appears to be working OK.

I hope this is of interest to the forum, and may be useful to anyone with an empty A1200 case. Grateful for feedback for anybody that decides to print a copy of the files and I’m happy to field questions where I can.

New floppy drive version:

All files, parts list etc. can be found here

Floppy drive extension can be found here

Cheers!

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Thu May 25, 2023 11:43 pm

Looking good. I think you are going to have a lot of options of how to run this baby. I would suggest at least a set of copper heat sinks for the pi itself. Have you got a usb extension running out under the floppy drive?

sadmario

Posted Sat May 27, 2023 11:50 am

Cheers - it's been a long project, but I feel like I've got it pretty much to where I want it.

Thanks for the advice re. heat sinks - I've just bought some as although my Pi 4 isn't overclocked, heat dissipation was a bit of a concern, particularly with so much in the case now.

The USB extension is an Amiga Kit item - mine looks a bit different to the one pictured on the Amiga Kit website, but it works well. I've been using it mainly for joysticks/mice etc. I've not been able to get it to boot from the USB extension whereas it will boot from USB fine on the Pi itself. I've reverted back to an SD card anyway.

Return to “Hardware”