Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Tue May 03, 2016 3:43 pm

I would be interested to see how it looks on Eric's Commodore monitor. To see if it put the overscan image into 4:3 or if it also had this taller than wide aspect ratio.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Tue May 03, 2016 3:50 pm

What emulator are you using that auto selects PAL/NTSC for the Amiga and does it correctly? Has WinUAE been updated to finally give a shit? hahha. Emulation wise, when games were acting weird in terms of placement I made sure to check the horizontal and vertical centering boxes in the emulator.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue May 03, 2016 5:31 pm

Shot97 wrote:What emulator are you using that auto selects PAL/NTSC for the Amiga ...?
I use Amiga Forever 2016 Plus Edition, which comes with a very handy screen-capture button in the UI chrome. If you press and hold Esc while playing a game, it releases the Amiga mouse and gives you your PC mouse back. Take a pic. Double-click the game and you're back in. It also has a Pause button, which you can use to get a precise shot if you don't mind leaving the controls behind for a few seconds.

Nice things about it:
1) It has a WinUAE Plugin as well as WinFellow Plugin so you can switch between the two if you want to.
2) It automatically checks for code updates for you in the background whenever you launch the program.

The WinUAE plugin is 7.0.24.0, and the Main File version is 3.2.2.0, which is the most recent stable release. I think I have AF set to WinUAE as the default, as it has the largest compatibility.

See the attached image: Auto (top pic) works best nearly every time, and seems to be able to "sniff out" the region setting and resolution pretty well. Changing things manually seems to be when I get odd clipping going on, even if I reset the top/left, etc.
config_1.jpg
Region and Screen Clip settings in the Configuration tab of Amiga Forever Plus Edition 2016

PhilsComputerLab

Posted Tue May 03, 2016 10:05 pm

Thanks for the photos!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed May 04, 2016 6:00 pm

The one place where I feel like Nearest Neighbor (when changing the image size vertically of an image) falls down the stairs a little bit is with text. With images, overall it looks as spot on as it can w/o a CRT blending some of the colors for you. But with text - ugh - sometimes the pixels stretch incorrectly especially if the bitmap font is really thin to begin with. Frustrating...

Ant_222
Russia

Posted Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:47 am

Hello, everybody, and let me notify you, although belatedly, about my Pixel-perfect patch for DOSBox, which implements integer upscaling and aspect ratio approximation by representing each source pixel as an m x n rectangle where m and n are integers whose ratio is close, and if possible equal to, the desired pixel aspect ratio (PAR). For example, my patch will upscale a 320x200 game to 1600x1200 (if the display is large enough) with aspect correction on and to 1600x1000 without it.

Notice also that for Amiga-based games such as Lure of the Temptress, aspect correction should be off, i.e. m should be equal to n for round objects to be shown as round.

mmaj_aad

Posted Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:39 am

Hello!

Finally... I don't understand.
Is the best way for oldscool gaming (80% for quests like Broken Sword, etc.) - CRT monitor?
I wish to buy Iiyama pro 512.
Am I need it?

I try to play on remaster version of old quests (Broken sword 1 & 2 for example) on Ipad Air, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DS, PC with modern plasma (50 inch). It is look terrible.
Also I try to play on NeoGeo emulator (also on plasma) - it's look bad, pixelized.

Is the CRT monitor help?
I play on CRT 10 years ago and I don't remember pixels that I see today on plasma.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:12 am

@mmaj_aad if you are trying to play a retro game and want it to look the best, you should always use a CRT if you want it to look "right" - assuming you have the means to do so.

mmaj_aad

Posted Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:32 pm

intric8 wrote:@mmaj_aad if you are trying to play a retro game and want it to look the best, you should always use a CRT if you want it to look "right" - assuming you have the means to do so.
intric8, thanks!

Can you clarify: is crt pc monitor the good choice too?
I read many topics and seen videos where said than best way is simple CRT tv or sony PVM are best way. but it is best way for old consoles.
I need monitor for old PC games (retro quests).
Monitor not very old: iiyama vision master pro 512.

Is the high resolution can "damage" the picture quality?
Or you mean that CRT tv the best choise for old quests and emulators?
If it important, resolution of monitor 2048 1536.

And sorry for stupid question, but why topic's name "Retro-gaming Enthusiasts Are Getting It All Wrong"?
English is not my native language (I think you already noticed :-) ) and I don't understand is crt best for other forum users or not.

mmaj_aad

Posted Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:33 pm

intric8 wrote:@mmaj_aad if you are trying to play a retro game and want it to look the best, you should always use a CRT if you want it to look "right" - assuming you have the means to do so.
intric8, thanks!

Can you clarify: is crt pc monitor the good choice too?
I read many topics and seen videos where said than best way is simple CRT tv or sony PVM are best way. but it is best way for old consoles.
I need monitor for old PC games (retro quests).
Monitor not very old: iiyama vision master pro 512.

Is the high resolution can "damage" the picture quality?
Or you mean that CRT tv the best choise for old quests and emulators?
If it important, resolution of monitor 2048 1536.

And sorry for stupid question, but why topic's name "Retro-gaming Enthusiasts Are Getting It All Wrong"?
English is not my native language (I think you already noticed :-) ) and I don't understand is crt best for other forum users or not.

Return to “Games”