Dynamic_Computing

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:11 pm

I have a really fantastic and clean new Amiga 500 - With a flaky keyboard. It is the old style that has two ribbon connectors for the membrane, not one connector, so replacement Membranes don't seem to be available. I think it is a bad controller, anyway, as I tested continuity on connections and they seem OK.

If anyone has a spare keyboard that works in their pile of Amiga goodness, I would love to buy or trade.

Thanks!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:44 am

You're going to find a lot more spare parts over here than you will domestically. And due to the quantity available, there seem to be much saner prices as a result.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:46 am

Can you post a picture of the one you're looking to replace? I'm not sure I've seen one with two connectors. If I see a pic then at least I'll know what to look for.

Dynamic_Computing

Posted Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:30 am

Either of the styles work. One has two membranes (like mine) and has two connectors on the PCB for the keyboard. Newer ones have a single membrane and connector. Luckily, both work just fine as the physical connector to the Motherboard is the same. I tried with my working A500 keyboard and it works great.
There are two of them on eBay right now, but the single membrane version has a funky keyboard layout. The second is a two membrane unit. I may buy that one if no one else wants to part with one.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:34 am

I've personally sold my A500 gear. I'm purely A1000 and A2000 these days, as I had to clear room for my (large-ish) 8-bit collection. But I'll poke around this week. We have an SEA-CCC meeting this Wednesday - maybe someone there might have something.

That being said, Mattsoft keyed me into Ebay UK for parts like these, which I linked to above. He and another friend have used it to great lengths in their A600 MiSTer projects. You can find parts there (and cheaply) far quicker and easier than on the US Ebay site.

Dynamic_Computing

Posted Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:03 pm

I had an office built in the old workshop of my garage - and it is now the home of all my retro stuff and where I film "10 Minute Amiga Retro Cast" - but now I have an A1200 that has somehow migrated to the family room, and this new A500 with the bad keyboard has somehow made it to the living room. My wife has not complained... yet...

drewbinsky

Posted Wed May 03, 2023 8:57 pm

Another choice is to look for vintage computer repair or retro computer store options. These companies might have extra Amiga keyboards available or be able to fix your broken keyboard eggy car

Return to “Trading Post”