Combustify
SF Bay Area

Posted Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:54 am

What do you think about bulk used original amiga disks? I have seen several sellers selling them as blanks for about $1 each.

At $3 each, $100 for a floppy emulator is looking good.

Thanks again. This has been extremely helpful.

Edit: and the used disks come with random software

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:16 am

A floppy replacement probably is one of the best ideas. The device I use is an HxC. Highly recommend. Emulates up to 2 devices. With the display it’s a great thing. I don’t know what the frenzy with the Goteks is all about. I prefer the HxC. No sticks ... sticking out. Actively supported and still with further development. I consider the Gotek some sort of a dead end but maybe it’s just me.

Combustify
SF Bay Area

Posted Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:11 am

Thanks. I was leaning towards the HxC but I hadn't found a personal endorsement. :D

I'll search out an external HxC.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:50 am

Worth noting with the HxC strategy - they require some "hackery".

I don't own one but a close friend of mine does. He also owns a Gotek so has seen and used both models.

Mattsoft:
You usually need to solder some pins, jump them for flashing, and then load the firmware. the FlashFloppy firmware for Gotek is pretty great.

The HxC is slicker looking. The thing i don't like about HxC is it can't use native ADF files. you have to convert your ADF files on your Mac/PC to HFE files and then put them on the SD card.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:49 am

Welcome! Glad you found a reasonable 1000. I am still on the hunt for one myself. Until then A2000, A500 and A1200 will have to do. ;)

I am also in the SF Bay Area. I think there is a retro group that meets around here someplace it is usually on a night I can't attend.

Combustify
SF Bay Area

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:40 pm

Thanks Zippy! I joined a bay area commodore collective, but it looks like they meet quarterly these days, and in Colma which is a bit of a trip.

I plan on attending Electronics Flea Market if possible and looking for some components, and going by the MADE (themade.org) to see if they know of any smaller local meetups.

Also, nice machines!! :lol:

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:18 am

Cool. Thanks for the tip on the electronics flea market I didn't know about that one. I live about 25 miles from Sunnyvale so not a bad drive at all.

finrock
Cupertino, California

Posted Wed May 01, 2019 10:56 pm

Hi there, also in the Bay Area, have been working on building the A1000 of my dreams, just need to find a RTC solution for it. The Rejuvenator thread is also pretty exciting, would love to have more chip memory.

I've posted a little about my A1000 in this thread.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu May 02, 2019 8:20 am

@finrock

It turns out one of my collection obsessions has been locating and collecting RTC's for the A1000. I have several different models now. If there's a port on the A1000, I've got an RTC to slap on it.
  • Mouse port
  • Keyboard cable
  • Parallel port
  • Side expansion...
Many of them simply die due to old age, and some have the batteries inside the RTC so replacing them is problematic. OR, the batteries were never removed a million years ago and destroyed the things.

The other issue is you really have to have the drivers made by the original manufacturers, and they can be hard to find or non-existent if you didn't get the disk when you found the clock.

But when you do get one working? Man - I love it. And even still they don't keep time very well, but every couple of weeks you can fix it and it's all good. =)

I've been wanting to do a short uber-niche video on this topic for a long time. Only a dozen people around the world would probably watch it but that's OK with me. It's interesting to me and a few others out there.

dalek
Australia

Posted Thu May 02, 2019 6:38 pm

Another clock lover here. I have a Spirit Inboard 1000 that has a MK48T02B-25 clock module (includes internal lithium battery).

On the end of my todo list is to replace the dead battery but I also ordered a replacement so that if I'm not happy with the final look of it I can return it to it's original looks if needed.

Looking forward to your video - you'll have at least one view :)

Return to “Member Intros”