Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:08 am

I am sure everyone that has any kind of original disk software for Amiga and Commodore or other computers knows sometimes the labels fall off over time. I am interested in knowing what kind of solutions you have found to reaffix them if possible or do you replace them with replicas?

I have found that sometimes the labels turn translucent from the glue and that is a bummer that I have yet to find a solution for. Other people I have talked to have used everything from Elmers glue to paste.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:47 pm

I have 2 methods.

Sometimes I steal a glue stick from my kids art cart and use that. I used to do rubber cement, but the smell is pretty awful (or, is it?).

But when I'm lazy and just want a label to work that I don't want to think about again 2 weeks later, I'll pull out a handy little Brother Labeller that prints out fresh "stickers" that are really just black text on white labels. Those work really well. I can select from 2 basic fonts, uppercase & lowercase. Kinda feels like the dot matrix days. But lately I've only been using that for disk copies I use regularly (like Rogue).

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:06 pm

Hah, I use an old brother labeler too. I started using it back in the 90's and it is still going strong. I have the model that connects to a serial port on a PC or Mac and has software for Mac and Windows 9x computers. lol. But it works great and if you do hook it up to a computer you can design all sorts of cool labels with graphics.

And yes Rubber Cement smells awful. :D

Bulletdust

Posted Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:20 pm

I bought some brand new, sealed in plastic 5.25" disks off Ebay for use in with my C64 and I can't for the life of me get the labels to 'stick'! They keep peeling up at the edges and jamming the disk in the drive.

So annoying!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:33 am

I had a situation a few years ago where I decided to buy a pack of “brand new” stickers for 3.5” disks all the way from Japan out of frustration with this issue.

I got them and they looked great.

But after 1-2 days, the part that wrapped around the top of the disks would start to pop off.

I discovered if I just cut the wrap-around ends off the rest of the sticker would stay.

I started doing that to all of mine (from new boxes, too) as that was the common source of failure. Not as cool, but it works.

Return to “The Lounge”