3D-vice
Germany

Posted Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:42 am

Hello all,

a short while ago I stumbled over a pretty interesting C64 accessory, a C64 suitcase. I have no idea who the manufacturer is, there are no labels on it which might give a hint. Maybe it is a custom built, but I am not sure of that, because the inlay is a deep-drawn plastic component and those are usually mass-produced. I assume that this suitcase is from the C64 pre-floppydrive era, because it has a dedicated place for a tape drive instead of a floppy drive. Further more, is has a dedicated slot for the old Ismet power supply (the brown one with the beveled edge) and some more slots for cables and other small peripherals. The case is comfortable to handle and carry and is manufactured very well. Due to its age, the metal locks and clips suffer from light rust, but that's OK for an asset older than 30 years.
C64_Suitcase-1.jpg
This is the suitcase in its "idle position". ;)

C64_Suitcase-2.jpg
The cover folds open nicely and consists of various flexible parts.

C64_Suitcase-3.jpg
I've put my C16 and its peripherals into the case. The upper spot where I placed the second power supply is where usually the C64 Ismet power supply fits in.

C64_Suitcase-4.jpg
When the cover folds back, it locks the inside hardware in place nicely, so nothing is going to fall around inside while carrying the case.

Do you guys ever have seen a similar suitcase, or do one of you have the same (or similar) suitcase by chance? I'd be really interested to learn who was the manufacturer...

Mr.Toast
Roseville, CA

Posted Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:29 pm

Wow! What a gem! I don't recall ever seeing that in the US.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:54 pm

Does it have a country of origin stamped anywhere (e.g. "Made in China")?

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:59 pm

intric8 wrote:Does it have a country of origin stamped anywhere (e.g. "Made in China")?
Nope, nothing at all. I even checked under the plastic inlay. No stamp, no information of origin.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:34 pm

I've found someone with a similar case.

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:24 am

intric8 wrote:I've found someone with a similar case.
That's great! Maybe the one can enlighten us about the origin of this suitcase. (?)

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:58 am

I just bought one off of Ebay UK yesterday for $25 (pretty rough shape but I'm hoping to clean it up).

I have a feeling these were sold in some shops in the UK with the VIC-20 BITD, but since cassettes were so popular in the UK it's possible it went with some early 64's, too. I don't recall ever seeing them in the US, that's for sure.

But my plan is to use the case with one of my C64s I take to the SEA-CCC club, as it'll be a lot safer and easier to transport! Thanks for putting it on my radar. I'm going to ask the seller if he/she remembers the story behind it.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:14 pm

:) <3

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”